History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Sywell, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2973 / 52°17'50"N

Longitude: -0.7965 / 0°47'47"W

OS Eastings: 482169

OS Northings: 267256

OS Grid: SP821672

Mapcode National: GBR CWY.X0Z

Mapcode Global: VHDRV.4JS7

Entry Name: The Old School House village Hall

Listing Date: 2 August 1972

Last Amended: 13 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233586

Location: Sywell, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN6

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Civil Parish: Sywell

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Sywell with Overstone

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Sywell

Listing Text

SYWELL MAIN STREET
SP8267 (South side)
15/301 The Old School House and
02/08/72 Village Hall
(Formerly listed as
The Village School, Masters
House)

GV II

School and masters house, now village hall and house. Dated 1860-64 for Lady
Overstone. Rusticated lias with ashlar dressings and plain-tile roof with
fishscale banding. T-shape plan. Masters house of 2 storeys, school is single
storey. Elevation to road: Masters house to right has projecting gable of
one-window range of wood-mullioned windows with ashlar surrounds. School to
left, 3-window range of single-light casements with cast-iron lozenge glazing
bars with ashlar surround all under open loggia with triple arcade of octagonal
wooden columns. 2 large ashlar gabled dormers above, with triple lancet windows.
Gabled porch to right of centre has C19 plank door with moulded stone surround
and 4-centred arch head and single-light window to left and slit window above,
both with ashlar surrounds. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Lateral stone
stacks and bellcote with spirelet at ridge. East gable of school has 4-light
window with intersecting tracery and slit window in apex. Masters house has
gabled porch to right. Tablet to right under loggia has inscription. "This
school house was erected under the care, and at the expense of the good Lady
Overstone by whom also the village of Sywell was rebuilt AD 1860-64". Similar
tablet to left under loggia has inscription to Thomas Arthur Dickson, former
school manager, and is dated 1927. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SP8217067254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.