History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yorkshire Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5528 / 53°33'9"N

Longitude: -1.4816 / 1°28'53"W

OS Eastings: 434441

OS Northings: 406362

OS Grid: SE344063

Mapcode National: GBR LW3C.15

Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.6YQR

Entry Name: Yorkshire Bank

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333741

Location: Barnsley, S70

County: Barnsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Barnsley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barnsley St George's Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Barnsley

Listing Text

SE3406SW BARNSLEY PEEL SQUARE
(north side),
Barnsley
9/52 Yorkshire Bank
including No 19
Market Hill
(west side)
GV II
Bank and shop premises. 1857 (Tasker). Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys
and attics. 2 bays to Peel Square, one round corner bay, 4 bays to Market Hill
plus a further single bay and a rounded corner bay which both belong to No 19.
Corner site. Italianate style. Rusticated ground floor. Rusticated quoins to
ends and corner bays at 1st-and 2nd-floor level. Square-headed entrance in
corner bay with architrave, swagged frieze and cornice. Segmental-headed ground-
floor windows with voussoirs, dropped keystones and aprons. C20 shop frontage
to No 19. Modillioned 1st-floor cornice. Round-arched 1st-floor windows have
architraves with pilasters, motifs in spandrels, friezes and cornices. Similar
paired lights to 5th bay (No 19). Segmental-headed 2nd-floor windows on sill
band, with eared architraves and dropped keystones. Similar paired lights to
5th bay (No 19). Heavily modillioned eaves cornice with ashlar parapet.
Surmounting the corner bay is a good lead lantern with swept sides and elliptical
lights. Later C20 dormer windows. Hipped roof.

The premises were built as the Coach and Horses Public House, and became a bank
in 1912.

E. G. Tasker, Barnsley Streets Vol II, 1974.


Listing NGR: SE3444106362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.