History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Cuckfield, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0057 / 51°0'20"N

Longitude: -0.1424 / 0°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 530424

OS Northings: 124568

OS Grid: TQ304245

Mapcode National: GBR JLT.SZ7

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LG.8B7

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191922

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302966

Location: Cuckfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Cuckfield

Built-Up Area: Cuckfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Cuckfield Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Cuckfield

Listing Text

CUCKFIELD HIGH STREET
(east side)
7/54 The Old Vicarage
10.9.51
GV II
Former Vicarage, now house. Early Cl7 origin but mainly of c1780, altered in 1818
and again in 1841-1850. Main house stuccoed with incised lines to imitate masonry
and slate roof, mid C19 service wing to north of painted brick. 2 storeys and
attics. Main house has 5 mid C19 12-pane horned sashes with moulded architraves,
2 pedimented dormers. Parapet. Central six panelled door surmounted by a
rectangular fanlight and a broken pediment, but the fanlight is cut into 2 sections
by a later porch with flat entablature built out over the steps of the doorway.
The south east front has irregular fenestration, including an early C19 two storey,
3-light bow. Interior has early C19 staircase with 2 stick balusters to each tread
and mahogany newel post, a C17 8-panelled wooden door and an oval shaped early C19
Butler's Pantry decorated on the outside with frosted glazing, vine leaves and
rosettes. Church records state 'The Rev Charles Ashburnham began building the new
vicarage house in October 1780 which was finished in the month of September
following'. In 1818 Henry Plimley Vicar borrowed £700 from Queen Anne's Bounty
to enlarge the house and built on a sitting room with bow window and in 1841-50
the Reverend T A Maberley had a loan from Queen Anne's Bounty to build out a bow
window to the dining room, add the drawing room, the room above the drawing room
and kitchen offices at a cost of £525.


Listing NGR: TQ3042424568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.