This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5439 / 53°32'38"N
Longitude: -1.1471 / 1°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 456612
OS Northings: 405593
OS Grid: SE566055
Mapcode National: GBR NWFG.FB
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.B5ZZ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334920
Location: Doncaster, DN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Bentley
Built-Up Area: Bentley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bentley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY HIGH STREET
SE 50 NE (east side),
7/56 Church of St. Peter
Church. 1891-94. By John Codd for patron C. E. S. Cooke. Deeply-coursed
dressed sandstone, red tile roofs. 5-bay nave with shallow aisles and south
porch rising as a 3-stage tower with spire, north porch; narrower, lower,
2-bay chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. In Gothic Revival style
with geometric tracery. Chamfered plinth, keel-moulded string courses below
windows and rising over as continuous hoodmoulds. Nave: western bays have
the porches, that to north walled-up and with statue in gable niche and
ashlar roof. Other bays have pointed-arched 3-light windows. West end has
2-light windows between 4 buttresses and quatrefoiled, circular window in
gable. Gable copings with west and east crosses. Tower: full-height angle
buttresses; south door with hoodmould returning as a string course.
2nd stage: string course beneath small 2-light window; cusped, iron
clockfaces. 3rd stage; recessed panel with large, paired belfry openings
having transoms, louvres and hoodmoulds beneath foiled openings with linking
hoodmould; corbel table over; broach spire with tall lucarnes.
Chancel: C20 south addition in front of 2-light windows. North organ chamber
has two small 2-light windows between string course and a foiled gable
opening. Lean-to vestry to east with door at angle with organ chamber.
Buttresses flank a 5-light east window.
Interior: nave has shallow aisles with differing piers of treble-shafted,
cylindrical and octagonal form; double-chamfered, pointed arches with
continuous hoodmould; lancet aisle arches. Roof: moulded tie beams, arch-
braced trusses, coving and cusped arcading down each side.
Chancel: carved oak choir stalls, pulpit with alabaster top rail. Alabaster
reredos with 3 crocketed, gabled panels. Plaque on north wall notes that the
church was erected by Charles Edward Stephen Cooke in memory of his parents
on the feast of St. Peter MDCCCXCI.
Illustrated in Building News, Sept. 3, 1897.
Listing NGR: SE5661205593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings