History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rossington Bridge House and Attached Wall with Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossington, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4886 / 53°29'19"N

Longitude: -1.0523 / 1°3'8"W

OS Eastings: 462978

OS Northings: 399521

OS Grid: SK629995

Mapcode National: GBR PX23.Z4

Mapcode Global: WHFFF.TK3W

Entry Name: Rossington Bridge House and Attached Wall with Railings

Listing Date: 22 April 1986

Last Amended: 11 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334767

Location: Rossington, Doncaster, DN4

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Rossington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rossington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Armthorpe

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
DONCASTER
5096
SK69NW ROSSINGTON BAWTRY ROAD
( east side )
7/66 No 329 ( Rossington
22nd April 1986 Bridge House) and
attached wall with
railings (formerly
listed as Bridge Nursing
Home and as on Great
North Road)
the following shall be added to the list description;
Interior contains a good quality Mid C18 staircase with turned balusters and square
panelled newel posts, moved to the right hand wing in the early C19 when a stick
baluster stair, which still survives, was inserted in place of the original. The
upper floor has 3 good quality C18 fireplaces with painted moulded surrounds and
cast iron hob grates. The interior also retains almost all its original panel doors,
some with their original L hinges.

------------------------------------

SOUTH YORKSHIRE
DONCASTER
5096
SK69NW ROSSINGTON BAWTRY ROAD
(east side)
7/66 No 329 (Rossington
22nd April 1986 Bridge House) and
attached wall with
railings (formerly
listed as Bridge Nursing
Home and as on Great
North Road)
- II
Coaching inn now house and disused nursing home. Mid and late C18 with early
C19 addition and mid C19 alterations. Red brick in English and Flemish
bonds; stone slate eaves courses to pantile roofs, partly Welsh slate.
2 storeys; 3-bay centre with lower 1-bay addition on left having rear outshut
and low 2-storey addition of 1778 on right having early C19 rear wing. Mid
C18 centre: central 6-panel door in Doric-columned wooden porch with
triglyphs and light cornice; flanking C19 canted-bay windows with sashes of
8, 12 and 8 panes under hipped roofs having shaped Welsh slates. 1st floor:
projecting stone sills to sashes with glazing bars beneath flat brick arches,
one of the windows said to bear inscription 'John Turner 1778' (previous list
description). Shaped kneelers and ashlar gable copings; brick end stacks
with bands and tabling. Late C18 addition on left: projecting stone sill to
16-pane sash in flush wooden architrave beneath flat brick arch; similar sash
with glazing bars to 1st floor. Gable and stack on left as centre block.
Addition on right: entrance to left has 6-panel door and overlight with
radial glazing bars in corniced wooden doorcases bay window to right as
centre block. Sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor; gable details on right
as before. In front of right-hand part of main range and right wing is a low
brick wall with chamfered stone coping and cast-iron railings with arrow-head
finials. Part of the Doncaster Corporation estate until the 1830s. In 1764
the Corporation approved a plan by William Rickard for a house at Rossington
Bridge and in 1783 gave instructions to prepare a plan for rebuilding the old
part of the house at Rossington Bridge (Corporation Minutes); in 1789 the inn
was advertised as 'now rebuilt'. It was called Rossington Bridge Inn but
changed its name to the Corporation Arms sometime before it closed in 1850.
Information from previous list description.
Tom Bradley, The Old Coaching Days in Yorkshire, 1889, p23 (sketch).


Listing NGR: SK6297899521

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.