This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5513 / 53°33'4"N
Longitude: -1.4864 / 1°29'11"W
OS Eastings: 434124
OS Northings: 406192
OS Grid: SE341061
Mapcode National: GBR LW1C.ZP
Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.4ZGX
Entry Name: Public Baths
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333767
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingstone
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St George's Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE3406SW BARNSLEY YORK STREET
9/78 Public Baths,
including No 2
Public swimming baths and former caretaker's house now private house.
1872 by Wade and Turner. Ashlar front, dressed stone sides and rear. Welsh
slate roof. Two storeys and attic. Entrance block with pool at 90° to rear.
Entrance block, including house: symmetrical 5-bay facade. Bays 2, 3 and 4
break forward, bay 3 further. Ground floor: single-storey, gabled porches to
bays 2 and 4 have round-arched portals with pilaster jambs, engaged colonnettes
and pointed hoodmould. 2-light segmental-headed sash windows with engaged
colonnette mullions on raised, bracketed sills. Similar round-arched windows to
1st floor with pointed hoodmould, but small single lights to bays 2 and 4. Central
bay is gabled with small attic window. Deep Lombard frieze. Parapet, partly
round-arched with corbelled round corner piers. Gable copings. Tall ornamental
stack to right gable. Small central pyramidal roof. Rear elevation (bath building)
has 3 blind panels. Left return has 5½ bays of blind panels. At rear to right
an addition has tall, tapering ornamental chimney, square at base, octagonal at
top with bands, deep moulded cornice and ashlar cap.
Interior: the 20 yard pool and side cubicles have been refitted, but original
cast-iron columns and brackets (5 to sides and 2 to ends) support the former
spectators' gallery, now boxed in by lowered ceiling.
The baths were opened on June 15th 1874.
Listing NGR: SE3412406192
Other nearby listed buildings