This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5698 / 51°34'11"N
Longitude: -0.1756 / 0°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 526536
OS Northings: 187233
OS Grid: TQ265872
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.NF4
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.XS0Z
Entry Name: Casa Maria the Chantry and White House
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 1 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199073
Location: Barnet, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2687 SPANIARD'S END
31-0/29/80 (West side)
14/05/74 The Chantry and White House (Formerly Listed as: CAMDEN
The Chantry. White House) (Formerly Listed as: SPANIARDS END, Hampstead White House)
Includes: Casa Maria SPANIARD'S END.
2 semi-detached houses. c1734, built by John Turner, rebuilt early C19 as a semi-detached pair with irregular frontage; later converted into one house (The Firs) and cl950 separated again into 2 residences with the billiard room adapted to a third residence in Spanish style known as Casa Maria. Stucco with plain pilasters. 2 storeys. The Chantry, 3 windows. White House, 2 windows and 3-window bay. Both with prostyle Tuscan porticoes; doorways with patterned fanlights and panelled doors. Recessed sash windows with glazing bars. Cornice and blocking course. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached railings to The Chantry. HISTORY: John Turner was a wealthy draper of Fleet Street.
Formerly listed in the LB of Camden on 14/05/74 and The White House included in the LB of Barnet list of 07/04/83. Following boundary changes of 1 April 1994 both these items are wholly in the LB of Barnet.
Listing NGR: TQ2653687233
Other nearby listed buildings