History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Royal Arms Public House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chichester, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8364 / 50°50'10"N

Longitude: -0.7788 / 0°46'43"W

OS Eastings: 486090

OS Northings: 104802

OS Grid: SU860048

Mapcode National: GBR DGS.FY2

Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.DG1

Entry Name: The Royal Arms Public House

Listing Date: 5 July 1950

Last Amended: 8 October 1971

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 299899

Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Chichester

Built-Up Area: Chichester

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Chichester St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Chichester

Listing Text

EAST STREET
1.
972
(South Side)
No 92
(The Royal Arms Public House
also known as Ye Olde Punch House)
[Formerly listed as No 92
(Ye Olde Punch House))
SU 8604 NW 4/124 5.7.50.
II*
2.
C18 front to an Elizabethan building of timber framed construction (said to
date from 1591 but possible with an earlier core). Steeply pitched tiled
roof with hip at western end. 2 flat roofed dormers with glazing bars.
3 storeys and attic. Stuccoed. Moulded cornice with modillions below
eaves. Stuccoed front: 1st and 2nd floors overhang supported by Doric
columns with moulded frieze below the overhang. 1 window and 3 light
canted bay window on 1st and 2nd floors; bay window has sash windows
with flush boxes and flat arches and glazing bars intact. 1 sash window
to the east on both floors; windows in reveals with flat arches and glazing
bars intact. The ground floor comprises a shop front of circa 1800 flanked
on either side by doorways. Shop front comprises an oriel window with 5
canted sides; glazing bars intact. On the eastern side and in recession,
2 doors with 6 panels, some moulded panels, each door with a rectangular
fanlight over. In the west, 3 steps leading up between the columns pre-
viously mentioned to a modern glazed door with rectangular fanlight with
tracery over; a door of similar design immediately adjoining to the west.
Inside, in the front room on the 1st floor a fine late C16 plaster ceiling
said to have been erected by Italian craftsmen. Carved wooden bracket in
kitchen on south side of 1st floor.


Listing NGR: SU8609104793

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.