History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glendon Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4237 / 52°25'25"N

Longitude: -0.7592 / 0°45'33"W

OS Eastings: 484474

OS Northings: 281356

OS Grid: SP844813

Mapcode National: GBR CVN.0WL

Mapcode Global: VHDR8.SBJV

Entry Name: Glendon Hall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231134

Location: Rushton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Rushton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton with Glendon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Rothwell

Listing Text

RUSHTON
SP88SW GLENDON
1337-0/4/248 Glendon Hall
25/10/51

GV II*

Mansion, now 4 dwellings. C17 and mid C18, incorporating
re-used mid/late C16 porch. Limestone ashlar and ironstone
partly rendered, to C17 part, C18 part of brick with stone
dressings. Hipped Collyweston stone slate roofs, numerous
moulded stone stacks. 2 storeys and attic. North front of C17
part has a 4-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned window to
ground floor, next a 2-storey canted bay window, then to
ground floor a short 2-light window (perhaps upper part of a
mullion-and-transom window), 2 2-light mullion-and- transom
window), 2 2-light mullion-and-transom windows and a Tudor
style doorway. First floor has 2 4-light mullion-and-transom
windows, and a single-light window probably truncated with
transom. Rear of this part has inter alia a later 2-storey
canted bay window and 2-storey semi-circular bay windows.
Interior has late C19 Jacobean style detail and some re-set
C16 Flemish glass, perhaps from the demolished church at
Glendon. Mid-C18 part is taller and of 5 bays. To north the
central three bays project slightly beneath pediment in
parapet. Raised band between storeys. Cornice. Ground and
first floors have 6/6 sash windows. 2 3/3 sash windows to
attic. Gauged stone heads. Central 2-storey porch from
Pytchley Hall (demolished 1824) has double 6-panel doors and
overlight in round-headed entrance arch with keystone, flanked
by fluted Doric columns carrying entablature with triplyphs
and rosettes to frieze. Above, 2 2-light ovolo-moulded
mullion- and-transom windows are flanked by Ionic columns
carrying entablature and parapet, with stumpy balustrade. Rear
of this part has sash windows as from to first floor and
attic, and 2 tripartite sash windows divided by columns and
with little pediments above central part flanking C20 door to
ground floor. Canted rear left angle. Interior has
cantilevered circular start with scrolly iron balustrade
beneath lantern. Decorative frieze to stairwell. Right-hand
ground floor room fully panelled (panels have quarter-round
moulding) with broken pediments to doorways and recesses to
blind windows. 6-panel doors. Room above fully panelled with
bolection-moulded panelling, has plain marble fireplace of
lugged form.

Listing NGR: SP8447481356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.