This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5105 / 53°30'37"N
Longitude: -1.2337 / 1°14'1"W
OS Eastings: 450917
OS Northings: 401811
OS Grid: SE509018
Mapcode National: GBR MWTV.Q9
Mapcode Global: WHDD7.01T2
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334506
Location: High Melton, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: High Melton
Built-Up Area: High Melton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnburgh with Melton-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE50SW HIGH MELTON
7/85 Church of St. James
Church. C12, C14 and C15, C19 restoration. Ashlar and rubble limestone, stone
slate roofs. West tower, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous south aisle
overlapping tower, south porch. Tower: Perpendicular. Offset diagonal buttresses
flank 2-light west window with ogee-headed lights and hoodmould; slit windows to
stair turret in north-west buttress. Small ogee-headed lights and string course
beneath 2nd-stage clock. String course beneath later upper stage with transomed,
2-light belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles beneath embattled
parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, quoins; all embattled.
South porch has broach stops to chamfered arch; moulded, ogee arch to south door
within. Square-headed aisle windows of 2 ogee-headed lights, massive buttress to
east. Two 2-light clerestorey windows have ashlar surrounds and ogee heads cut
in single slabs. Blocked C14 north door with ogee head; 3-light mullioned window
on left has C12 scalloped stone in its jamb. C19 east buttress with octagonal
flue above. Chancel: lower. Chapel in aisle has square-headed, 2-light window to
left of round-headed light. C19, 4-light east window in Perpendicular style has
cusped apron panels, 3-light, pointed window to chapel. 3-light windows to north.
Gable copings with crosses to nave and chancel.
Interior: double-chamfered tower arch with ½-octagonal responds. C12 south arcade
with cylindrical pier and scalloped capital with nailhead ornament, matching
responds, plain round arches. C12 chancel arch-with chamfered impost and plain
voussoirs, restored. Single-chamfered, pointed arch into south chapel. C19 roofs.
Font: tapered cylinder with probably C18 oak cover. Rood screen with gallery and
crucifixion, also the gilded, canopied reredos by Sir Ninian Comper (1905-1907).
Excellent cl5 parclose screen to south chapel with Decorated tracery of mouchettes,
carved cresting. Monuments: numerous wall monuments to the"Fountayne family;
beneath tower to Thomas (d.1709) - aedicule on consoles which flank arms, urn finial
flanked by lamps; on north wall of chancel to Thomas (d,1780), another to Anne (d.1746)
wife of Revd John Fountayne; in north chapel to John (erected 1747) - half
sarcophagus beneath open pediment with arms and elephant. Glass: C14 and C15
figures to north of chancel, C14 fragments and cl5 figures in south aisle. C18
heraldic glass in south aisle, associated with Peckitt. South aisle window of c1885
and east window by Kempe (Pevsner, p265).
N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed.
York Glaziers Trust Report, 9 March, 1982.
Listing NGR: SE5091701811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings