This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3325 / 52°19'56"N
Longitude: -0.563 / 0°33'46"W
OS Eastings: 498017
OS Northings: 271457
OS Grid: SP980714
Mapcode National: GBR DY6.NJ8
Mapcode Global: VHFP7.6M7S
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Last Amended: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232411
Location: Stanwick, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN9
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Stanwick
Built-Up Area: Stanwick
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Stanwick St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/05/2014
CHURCH STREET (North side),
Church of St. Laurence
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Lawrence)
(Previously listed as Parish Church of St. Lawrence)
Church. C13 and C14, restored 1858. Regular coursed and squared coursed
limestone with ashlar spire. Lead, Collyweston slate and plain tile roofs.
Nave, chancel south aisle, organ chamber and vestry, south porch and west tower.
South elevation of chancel of 2 bays, one-window range with 3-light windows
under 4-centred arch heads. 6-panel C18 arch-head south door to centre. Ashlar
buttresses between bays. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet and
finial. 4-light Perpendicular east window with 4-centred head and curved label
stops. North elevation of chancel has C19 lean-to vestry and gabled organ
chamber attached. 3-light north window and 2-light east window. Plain tile roof.
South aisle of 4 bays; 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows to right,
with 4-centred arch heads. Small blocked doorway in left bay. Lean-to roof with
castellated ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east and west windows. 2-storey
gabled porch in bay to left of centre, has double chamfered outer arch with
2-light square-head window above. Chamfered and stepped inner doorway has one
order of shafts. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet and finial.
Stair turret with lean-to stone roof to left of porch. North elevation of nave
of 3-window range of tall 3-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. Blocked
north door to right of centre has carved tablet above. 3-stage buttresses
between bays. Steep gabled roof with Collyweston slates, castellated ashlar
parapet and gable finial. Octagonal west tower of 2 stages with shallow
buttresses to lower part of first stage. West lancet window with octofoil window
above. Upper stage is set back with 2-light bell-chamber openings in the
cardinal directions and similar blind arcading, each with central corbel, to the
diagonal faces of the octagon. Octagonal ashlar spire has corbel table and
castellated frieze at base. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Polygonal stair turret is
attached to north face of tower. Interior: 3-bay south arcade, to nave, of
double chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch
with octagonal responds and nail head decoration. Triple chamfered tower arch.
C19 roof structures. Double piscina in south aisle has central column.
Trefoil-head arched seat to right of chancel arch facing into chancel. C19
chamfered arch to organ chamber. Perpendicular octagonal font, with the stem
missing. Monuments: Thomas de Wynchy, C14, inscribed brass strip in chancel
floor. John Atkins died 1669 wife and family, inscribed tablet, to left of
altar, with arms over. C18 oval tablet to left and various C19 tablets to right.
Communion rail has 4 turned balusters. Stained glass: C19 east window, 2 west
windows and south aisle east window, the latter is by Kempe. Original scaffold
holes are visible in the tower. Pitch hooks for removing burning thatch attached
to belfry wall. Room over porch has C20 roof and partially legible inscribed
memorial tablet fixed to the wall.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.412).
Listing NGR: SP9801771457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings