History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stocks Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Duddington-with-Fineshade, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5968 / 52°35'48"N

Longitude: -0.5413 / 0°32'28"W

OS Eastings: 498902

OS Northings: 300884

OS Grid: SK989008

Mapcode National: GBR FWG.1ZN

Mapcode Global: WHGM2.NZGM

Entry Name: Stocks Hill House

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 31 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192303

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232972

Location: Duddington-with-Fineshade, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Duddington-with-Fineshade

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Duddington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Duddington

Listing Text

DUDDINGTON MILL STREET
(North side)
SK9800 Stocks Hill House
9/106 (Formerly listed as Stocks
23/05/67 Hill Farmhouse (The former
Manor House) Uppingham Road
GV II
House. Late C15, datestones 1601 and 1858 refer to remodellings, also remodelled
1973. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally hall
house now subdivided. 2 storeys, part with attics, taking account of sloping
ground and reducing to single storey with attic. Main front is of 4 bays,
3-window range. Late C15, two-light, stone mullion windows, with cusped head
lights, and square label steps, to ground and first floor left of centre. C19
two- and 3-light stone mullion windows, set in eaves dormers, to right of
centre. Similar 3-window range of 2-and 3-light windows to ground floor right.
Early C17, single-light, window with moulded stone surround, under eaves, to far
left. 2 C20 part-glazed doors between window ranges, have 4 centred arch-heads
with moulded stone surrounds. Door to right, on rising ground, is higher than
door to left. Hipped roof dormer to left of centre, with leaded lights. Ashlar
gable parapets to left. Lateral ashlar stack, to left of centre, and ashlar
stack to right end. C19 single stormy building, breaks forward at right angles,
to far left. C20, three-light, stone mullion window in gable end with similar,
single-light, window above. Ashlar gable parapets. Single storey building,
attached to far right, has C20 part-glazed door, with moulded stone surround,
similar to main range. Also C19 double doors under shallow stone arch. Left
gable, abutting road; has late C15 two-light stone mullion windows, to ground
and first floor, with cusped-head lights and square label stops. Datestone 1601
in apex of gable. Gable end of lean-to, to left, has one similar C19 stone
mullion window. Rear elevation has C19 lean-to extension, to right, and 2
window-range of C20 three-light stone mullion windows to centre and right. First
floor windows have gablets over. C20 door, to left, has similar surround to
those at main front. Single storey range, to left, has 2- and 3-light stone
mullion windows, one is C17 reset. Lateral ashlar stack, to left, and stone
stack to right. Interior: centre bays were originally the open hall; sub-divided
early C17. Entrance hall and staircase remodelled 1973, C17 timber stud wall to
right. Drawing room to left of entrance hall has large open fireplace with
bressumer, probably late C15, and stop-chartered spine beams. Kitchen to far
right of entrance hall has stop-chamfered spine beams and retains of open
fireplace with bressumer. Room to first floor left has early C17 plaster frieze
with scroll decoration. Fragments of similar frieze to first floor landing.
First floor over kitchen is said to be plaster. Late C15 hall roof, of 2 bays,
has central truss with tapered principals and braces to a cambered collar; butt
purlins with windbraces. Similar late C15 two-bay roof over parlour range, to
left, has no windbraces and clasped purlins. The range to the right has a C18
roof.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p194; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p47)


Listing NGR: SK9890200884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.