This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5652 / 53°33'54"N
Longitude: -1.2681 / 1°16'5"W
OS Eastings: 448569
OS Northings: 407874
OS Grid: SE485078
Mapcode National: GBR MWL6.7P
Mapcode Global: WHDCT.HNB5
Entry Name: Hooton Pagnell Hall Including Archway Flat Numbers 1 and 2 Hall Cottages, Ground Floor Flat, First Floor Flat and Pump End
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 11 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334522
Location: Hooton Pagnell, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: Hooton Pagnell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bilham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE4807 HOOTON PAGNELL HOOTON PAGNELL HALL
11/101 Hooton Pagnell Hall
including Archway Flat,
Nos 1 and 2 Hall Cottages,
27.5.53 Ground-Floor Flat,
First-Floor Flat and
Pump End (formerly listed
as Hooton Pagnell Hall)
Manor house now 7 residences. C14 with C18 rear wing and garden front of 1787 said
to be by William Lindley (previous list description); extensively restored 1894-1904.
Ashlar and rubble limestone, stone slate roofs. Irregular L-shaped plan with roadside
front having gatehouse on left and four lst-floor windows on right; 9-bay garden
front on right return; extended wing to rear of main range. Roadside front: 3 storeys.
Gatehouse to left has 2 moulded plinth bands and offset buttresses flanking a moulded,
Tudor-arched carriage entrance with a pointed-arched pedestrian entrance on its left;
trefoil-headed single-light window above. Polygonal oriel window to top-left corner
has cusped window to each face and dripmould extending to right above 2-light window
with cusping and hood. Housepart to right has 2 more buttresses with, on left, 2
double-chamfered cross windows and similar 3-light window each with hoodmould; lst-floor
windows with trefoil-headed lights, similar 4-light window beyond buttress to right.
2 oversailing courses beneath total of 5 two-light windows with cusped, ogee lights
and hoodmoulds linked by oriel dripmould, 2 windows have shields beneath the hood.
Corniced parapet bears traces of earlier gables. Hipped roof with corniced ridge stacks,
embattled turret set to rear. Garden front: 3:3:3 bays, outer bays bowed and with
brickwork between ground-floor and lst-floor windows. Central French window in corniced
doorcase with paterae. Windows all have plain ashlar surrounds; C20 casements,to ground
floor; sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor except central 3 bays which have 4-pane
sashes; 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Hipped roof with 2, corniced ridge stacks. Left
return: C19 prinicipal entrance to right beneath bay window, older oriel window on its
right has apron shields and cusped lights. Embattled turret in angle with gatehouse,
much C19 embattlement above. 2-storey service wing to left has casements and sashes in
square-faced surrounds. Off-centre gable with round-arched panel enclosing tripartite
window on each floor. Corniced ridge stacks.
Interior Entrance hall: late C17 staircase from The Palace Yard, Coventry has
balustrade with raking panels of birds and beasts within foliage scrolls, finialled
newel posts; oak panelling appears C19. C18 details to rooms on garden front: ground-
floor sitting room with fireplace and glazed bookcases in Adam style, columned screen,
anthemion frieze. Other good fireplaces to lst-floor rooms. lst-floor room on
roadside front has C17 plaster ceiling encasing beams. Room facing left return has
barley-sugar columns flanking window (possibly from same source as staircase).
Concealed chamber above carriage arch reached by steps down from room with corner oriel.
Tudor room on 2nd floor has early fireplace with corbels and ovolo-moulded surround,
later oak panelling in same room.
Many past owners including the Crown at various points in C15 and C16. Passed from the
Gifford family to John Hutton in 1605. By 1681 sold to Sir Patience Warde (then
Lord Mayor of London) and has remained in the hands of his descendants.
A. Ruston, D. Witney, Hooton Pagnell, The Agricultural Evolution of A Yorkshire Village,
1934,pp256-259 (also frontispiece and plate III).
Listing NGR: SE4856307878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings