This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5794 / 53°34'45"N
Longitude: -0.9998 / 0°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 466322
OS Northings: 409664
OS Grid: SE663096
Mapcode National: GBR PWG1.CM
Mapcode Global: WHFF2.M949
Entry Name: Old Travis Charity School
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334608
Location: Hatfield, Doncaster, DN7
Civil Parish: Hatfield
Built-Up Area: Dunscroft
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hatfield St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HATFIELD CUCKOO LANE
SE 6609 (SE ho NE)
16/33 Old Travis
Charity school disused at time of resurvey. 1682; re-roofed, altered and
extended 1880. Red brick, the old dark cement-rendered, the C19 work in
English bond, Welsh slate roof. Single storey, L-shaped plan with porch in
front angle. c17 range across rear has dripcourse and scrolled kneelers to
gable copings on left end; added C19 porch on right incorporates lintel and
pediment of a C17 doorway with shield in tympanum and initialled datestone
inscribed '1682/JC' at apex, over it a coped brick gable with datestone
marked 1880; boarded window on right of door; tall C19 brick stack at eaves
to rear if porch; ridge ventilators. C19 wing projection on right has 2 tall
windows (boarded at tide of resurvey) beneath gable with re-set C17 kneelers
and copings; tall brick stack on left return. Rear: C17 range shows some
exposed brickwork with dripcourse cut by three C19 windows. Left return of
C17 range has continued dripcourse. No interior features of note visible at
time of resurvey. Built as a free school by John Hatfield who left it in
trust in an indenture of 1716. Taken over by the Travis Charity (est. 1710)
in 1848 then handed over to the Charity Commissioners in 1877 who improved
and enlarged the building at a cost of £400 to serve 60 children (Kelly's
Directory, p451). C19 work not of special interest except in that it is
integral and incorporates C17 elements.
Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1889.
Listing NGR: SE6632209664
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings