History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James and St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Waterhouses, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.062 / 53°3'43"N

Longitude: -1.8792 / 1°52'45"W

OS Eastings: 408192

OS Northings: 351649

OS Grid: SK081516

Mapcode National: GBR 36S.5P0

Mapcode Global: WHCDX.39DF

Entry Name: Church of St James and St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275156

Location: Waterhouses, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Waterhouses

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Waterfall St James and St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cauldon

Listing Text

SK 05 SE WATERHOUSES C.P. BROADWAY LANE (West side)
WATERFALL
1/158
3/1/67 Church of St. James and
St. Bartholomew
GV
II*

Parish Church. 1792 with core of c. 1200, chancel rebuilt 1890 using
medieval masonry. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble; plain tile
roof to chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay
chancel with diagonal buttresses, north vestry. West tower: 2 stages
with second-stage band, chamfered quoins and crenellated parapet with
crocketed corner pinnacles; first stage has a circular west window
with raised surround, and blocked south window with semi-circular head
and Gibbs surround, paired belfry openings with semi-circular heads.
Nave: windows have semi-circular heads, raised surrounds and keystones;
upper window to west probably indicates a former gallery; eaves
cornice and plain parapet; gabled porch dated 1894 with shouldered
Tudor arch, south door has a moulded surround and square head and
replaces a Romanesque doorway, the semi-circular arch of which remains,
it has roll moulding and chevron ornament, and springs from imposts.
Chancel: pointed south window and south doorway, north window of 2
lights with Y-tracery and a segmental pointed head, east window of 3
trefoil-headed lights under a segmental pointed head; vestry has a
pointed window. Interior: wide chancel arch of c. 1200, semi-
elliptical, springing from restored colonettes with scalloped capitals,
2 principal orders, the inner has chevron ornament, the outer is roll
moulded with dog tooth above; double chamfered west door with segmental
pointed head; low pitch nave roof with short stubby king-post, one
pair of purlins and ridge piece; chancel roof dated 1890 with tie
beam, shaped collar and raking struts between them, one pair of
purlins, curved wind braces and ridge piece. Fittings: small C17
font with square moulded base and cylindrical pedestal tapering towards
the top, rounded basin with moulded rim; late C19 font, octagonal base
and basin with a cluster of 5 marble pedestal columns with stiff leaf
capitals; pulpit late C19, wooden, semi-octagonal. B.O.E. p. 298.


Listing NGR: SK0819251649

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.