This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5683 / 52°34'5"N
Longitude: -0.5668 / 0°34'0"W
OS Eastings: 497235
OS Northings: 297679
OS Grid: SP972976
Mapcode National: GBR DV9.TSB
Mapcode Global: WHGM8.8PBZ
Entry Name: Fineshade Abbey Stables at Sp 723 9770
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232983
Location: Duddington-with-Fineshade, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN17
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Duddington-with-Fineshade
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Barrowden and Wakerley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
4/116 Fineshade Abbey Stables at
23/05/67 SP 723 9770
Stables. Datestone 1848 for Monckton family of Fineshade Abbey. Squared coursed
limestone, with ashlar dressings, and slate roof. Courtyard plan with buildings
an 3 sides. Entrance front, to north, is 2 storeys with central entrance arch,
flanked by blank ranges of casement openings, to left and right. Archway has
rusticated surround with armorial device above. Central octagonal stone cupola
supported by volutes. Hipped roof. Clock in cupola. End elevations of range have
one-window ranges of casement openings to ground and first floors. West range,
linking north and south ranges, is single storey with attached stone piers,
South range is of 2 storeys. with hipped roof. Courtyard elevation of west range
has lean-to at ground floor with 7 bays of segmental arch-head openings.
Casement openings above. Courtyard elevation of west range has datestone above
arch and flanking casement openings. Fourth side of courtyard is enclosed by
retaining wall. Fineshade Abbey was founded c.1200 on the site of Castle Hymel.
The site was bought in 1546 by Sir Robert Kirkham, who incorporated the abbey
ruins into a house. In the early/mid C18 the house was bought and rebuilt by
William King. In the mid C18 the house passed to the Monckton family; it was
largely demolished in 1956.
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p61)
Listing NGR: SP9723597679
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings