History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Firbeck, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.39 / 53°23'24"N

Longitude: -1.1562 / 1°9'22"W

OS Eastings: 456216

OS Northings: 388460

OS Grid: SK562884

Mapcode National: GBR NYC7.HH

Mapcode Global: WHDDV.61PZ

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 15 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335761

Location: Firbeck, Rotherham, S81

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Firbeck

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

FIRBECK NEW ROAD
SK58NE
(north side)
3/15 Church of St Martin

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1820, north aisle added 1844, enlarged 1887 for Henry Gladwyn
Jebb by E. I. Hubbard of Rotherham, tower added 1900 in Jebb's memory. Ashlar
limestone, slate roofs. 4-bay nave with south porch, north aisle and north-west
tower, 2-bay chancel with apse. Nave: chamfered plinth, gabled buttresses to
east and west and between windows have chamfered arrises. Gabled porch to bay
2 has chamfered round arch with hoodmould, niche with figure of St. Peter beneath
roll-moulded gable copings with cross. Other bays with 3-lancet-light windows having
shafted jambs and mullions and round-arched heads. Eaves cornice. Gable copings
and crosses as porch. Tower set to rear described from west. Nave west window
as south has buttress on right and single lancet over. Tower on left with angle
buttress strips and round-arched window with similar paired windows over, hoodmoulds
on brackets; string course beneath belfry arcade with shafts, louvres and zig-
zag-moulded round arches beneath shared hoodmoulds; corbel table to corniced parapet;
pyramidal lead roof with weather vane. Chancel: lower and narrower. South window
as nave, sundial on right inscribed 'Erected A.D. 1821'. Round-headed 1-light
windows to each face of apse, hoodmoulds. Corbel table to eaves, east cross at
hip.
Interior: north arcade of 1887 with scalloped capitals to round arches of 2 orders,
end arches smaller; round chancel arch of same date. Monuments: at east end of
north aisle to John West (d 1659) and wife Frances (d 1657) with Latin inscription
in recess beneath archivolt. North aisle wall: 2 C19 wall monuments to the Knight
family of Langold. South chancel wall: to Fidelia Knight (d 1671), inscribed
black slab in bayleaf architrave. Stone benefactions slab at west end of nave,
varous hatchments. Other monuments and fuller history detailed in:
C. Stocks, Firbeck and the Three Estates, 1979, pp 38-51.


Listing NGR: SK5621688460

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.