This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9977 / 51°59'51"N
Longitude: -1.2064 / 1°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 454583
OS Northings: 233550
OS Grid: SP545335
Mapcode National: GBR 8W3.MTZ
Mapcode Global: VHCWQ.11LW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233961
Location: Croughton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Croughton
Built-Up Area: Croughton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Croughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP53SW CROUGHTON CHURCH LANE
8/62 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C12 to C14. Chancel rebuilt without chancel arch 1830.
(Church guide 1983). Coursed limestone rubble, lead and slate roof. Chancel
and north organ chamber, nave and clerestory, north and south aisles with
porches, west tower. Chancel windows C19. In the south aisle the east window
is C19. The 2 south windows are Decorated, each of 2 lights and the west
window is a C14 trefoiled lancet. North and south porches are C14. In the
north aisle are 3- and 4-light C14 windows in the east and west wall and a 2-
light window of the same date on the north. Squared-headed clerestory windows
c.1300 of 2 cusped ogee lights. West tower of 3 stages has Perpendicular
square headed bell openings. West doorway also Perpendicular with a window
of the same date above. Interior: Stairs to former rood loft lead from south
aisle. North arcade late C12 of 3 and a half bays with plain pointed arches,
round piers with square abaci and capitals with trumpet scallops and flat
leaf carving. South arcade is early C13, 3 bays with double chamfered arches,
round piers with moulded capitals and stiff-leaf carving on east respond. Tower
arch C12, pointed and plain. Re-used stones carved with Romanesque saltire
crosses on west respond of south aisle. Romanesque tub front re-cut C14/C15
with a frieze of leaves and rosettes framing small animals and figures. Pulpit
C17, octagonal with a fluted frieze. Chancel screen Perpendicular with one-
light traceried openings and cornice with vine scrolls. Bench ends with re-
used medieval tracery panels. Panelling made up from medieval tracery in north
aisle. Nave roof Perpendicular with tracery between the beams and arched
braces. South aisle roof similar. Important series of C14 wall paintings with
scenes from the "Life of Christ" in the aisles and fragments of a "Last
Judgement" at east end nave arcades.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.170).
Listing NGR: SP5458333550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings