This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5211 / 53°31'15"N
Longitude: -1.4727 / 1°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 435057
OS Northings: 402843
OS Grid: SE350028
Mapcode National: GBR LW4Q.YH
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.BRYJ
Entry Name: Worsbrough Hall (Including Nos 4 and 5 Worsbrough Hall)
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333989
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Worsbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Worsbrough St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WORSBROUGH WORSBROUGH VILLAGE
2/113 Worsbrough Hall
(including Nos 4 and 5
11.11.66 Worsbrough Hall)
Large house now 3 dwellings. C17 of 2 builds, partially refenestrated. Ashlar
sandstone, stone slate roof. U-shaped plan having gabled front wings, 2 short
wings to rear of central block. 2 storeys, with attics,part 3 storeys, 1 : 4 : 1
bays. Chamfered plinth, continuous dripmoulds to each floor, 2-storey porch to
right of centre has Tudor-arched doorway beneath cross-window and coped gable
with apex finial base. Flanking bays have 4-light mullioned windows, single light
on far right; taller lst-floor windows are transomed. Wing on left: higher
ground-floor dripmould covers transomed 3-light gable window, cross-window to
1st floor, altered attic window opening, shaped kneelers and gable copings,
truncated ashlar ridge stack. Wing on right: similar but of 3 storeys with 2-light
2nd-floor window beneath eaves dripmould. Rear: later additions to rear-right
corner with projecting stack above having rebuilt shaft. Lateral stack to rear of
central block with truncated wing to rear left. Rear gable of left wing has early
leaded lights in corniced cross-window. Left return: 5 bays, transomed 3-light
windows beneath sashes with glazing bars in square-faced surrounds.
Right return: 6 bays, sashes with glazing bars except to ground-floor bay 3 having
doorway and 2nd-floor bay 5 having casement. Interior not inspected. Occupied
in early C17 by Thomas Edmunds, secretary to Thomas Wentworth, the 1st Earl of
Strafford of Wentworth Woodhouse. Colvin (p641) notes that in 1775 John Platt
did work on the drawing room of the house for Francis Edmunds. Remained in the
family until 1831 (Wright, p15).
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 1978.
J. G. Wright, Worsbrough: In Times Past, 1983.
Listing NGR: SE3505702843
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings