This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4434 / 53°26'36"N
Longitude: -1.1968 / 1°11'48"W
OS Eastings: 453444
OS Northings: 394373
OS Grid: SK534943
Mapcode National: GBR NX2M.PB
Mapcode Global: WHDDF.LQ92
Entry Name: Remains of Moat Hall
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334780
Location: Braithwell, Doncaster, S66
Civil Parish: Braithwell
Built-Up Area: Braithwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Braithwel St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BRAITHWELL HOLYWELL LANE
SK59SW (north side, off)
8/5 Remains of Moat Hall
27.5.53 (formerly listed as
Ruins of a medieval house. c1430. For John Vyncent of Braithwell (Hey,
p78). Magnesian limestone. Probably a 1st-floor hall house with cross-wing
and service wing; an intact archway into the central cross-wing survives with
the outline of the hall to left being defined by rubble walls which rise no
more than 1 metre in height; service rooms on opposite side of passage are
less clearly defined and have as yet to be fully excavated, a well and oven
site are exposed. The arch is pointed and of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and
has rebate to rear with draw-bar sockets. Occupies a moated site originally
a grange of Lewes Priory (Sussex) but leased in 1427 to John Vyncent who was
allowed to build 'a hall with room to the west end 32 feet long by 18 feet
broad' (Hey op.cit). A series of 3 round-headed arches from the service wing
was removed in 1939 and one survives at Lambcote Grange in Staintcn parish.
C20 excavation (Green, p 233) recorded a site approximately 70 feet x 20 feet
and attributed earlier dates to the building.
D. Green 'The Moat Hall, Braithwell 'Transactions of the Hunter
Archaeological Soc, vol 5, 1938-43, p 233.
D. Hey, The Making of South Yorkshire, 1979, pp 78-79.
P.F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire, 1982, p 84.
Listing NGR: SK5344494373
Other nearby listed buildings