This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3536 / 51°21'12"N
Longitude: -1.9024 / 1°54'8"W
OS Eastings: 406894
OS Northings: 161614
OS Grid: SU068616
Mapcode National: GBR 3WG.5TN
Mapcode Global: VHB4H.Z74P
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311436
Location: Allcannings, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: All Cannings
Built-Up Area: All Cannings
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: All Cannings All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
~ SU 06 SE ALL CANNINGS THE STREET
(south west side) 7/16 Old Rectory
Parsonage now house, rebuilt mid C17 for Robert Byng, rector from 1625; 1800-1807 and late C19 extensions. Cross wing of 1986. Core of building of mid C17, sarsen ground floor and brick upper floor, both with limestone ashlar quoins. Slate roofs. Early C19 work of buff brick, later.C19 work of red brick. Work of 1986 of red brick with raised stone quoins and arches. North-east front has 3-light stone-mullioned windows with reserved chamfers and continuous hoodmould. Upper brick wall 'has stone string and 'parapet withdatestones reading to left: MH /EATTn.. To right:
ANODN / 1642. Upper windows replaced by 16-pane sashes. Two hipped paned dormers. Large external brick stack at south east end with two diagonal shafts, now incorporated in later C19 twin gabled service rooms. To rear, early Cl9 stair block with round headed window.
Interior: North west room of original block, formerly the rector's study, has large stone fireplace with Tudor arch and spandrels. Ovolo moulded ceiling beams with stopped chamfers as church aisle indicating more extensive plan. Upper floor window has scratched inscription 'Wi / Coleridge the Poet. L J M 1809' Samuel Coleridge is claimed to be a visiting friend of the Methuen family. Early C19 extension had 2 storey bow window, demolished in
Listing NGR: SU0689461614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings