This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5235 / 53°31'24"N
Longitude: -1.1352 / 1°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 457429
OS Northings: 403325
OS Grid: SE574033
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.0N
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.JPMP
Entry Name: Lloyds Bank
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335056
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SW (south side)
6/60 Lloyds Bank (No 55)
Bank. 1912, designed by Kitson of Leeds, with minor later alterations. Portland
stone, roof hidden. Three storeys and 5 bays. Greek Revival style. Plinth.
Ground floor has horizontal rustication above sill level. Entrance to left;
recessed panelled doors in moulded architrave with large block keystone inscribed
'Bank Entrance'. Deeply recessed margin glazed square window above in architrave
with side scrolls. Originally similar doorcase and window to right bay, now with
deeply recessed margin glazed window with top roundel flanked by pilasters set
within the reveal. Similar windows to 3 central bays, that to left reduced; all
above moulded sill band. Entablature over with modern fascia covering frieze.
First and second floors have 3 central bays articulated by giant fluted columns
in antis with medallions to friezes of capitals and central columns with additional
decoration within the fluting to top and base. Windows are recessed behind the
columns. End bays have windows in architraves with block-like plinths, and keyed
entablatures over, the keys formed by large square panelled blocks which rise
to form aprons for second-floor windows. Three central first-floor windows In
similar surrounds but architraves have raised circle motifs and the panels within
the keystones are notched to the corners. Second floor windows to end bays have
moulded architraves with stepped heads and corner diamond motifs, also moulded sills
which project over the aprons. Central windows have architraves with large panelled
rectangular keystones. Glazing to first and second floors all c1970. Entablature
over is slightly advanced over 3 central bays and has triglyphs hung with guttae
and paterae to frieze over these three bays. Wide modillioned cornice to all bays.
Stepped parapet above has plain panels to end bays, lattice decorati to side bays
flanking central panel, which has inscription 'Anno Domini MDCCCCXII' in faces
surround with stepped blocking course to top. Interior of banking hall modernised,
possibly with original ceiling above the underdrawing.
Listing NGR: SE5742903325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings