This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4196 / 53°25'10"N
Longitude: -1.3502 / 1°21'0"W
OS Eastings: 443284
OS Northings: 391614
OS Grid: SK432916
Mapcode National: GBR MX0W.HX
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.799V
Entry Name: Thomas Rotherham College
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335692
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49SW ROTHERHAM MOORGATE ROAD
(west side, off)
5/57 Thomas Rotherham
College. Built as Independent Theological College, became Rotherham Grammar
School, now 6th-form college. 1876 by W.G. Habershon and A.R. Pite of
London, contractor L.B. Moore of Bedford (Rotherham Advertiser). Coursed,
rock-faced sandstone, ashlar limestone dressings, red tile roofs. 5-storey
tower flanked by 2-storey, 4-bay side-wings; 2 additional bays to left, each
set forward; 3 contemporary wings to rear with extensive later additions,
mostly in keeping. Tudor and Gothic Revival details.
Tower : quoins, chamfered and moulded plinths. Offset angle buttresses to
lower part. Tall ogee-headed lights and small offset buttresses with gablets
flank central door in pointed arch with colonettes and geometric-panelled
spandrels. String course and corbelling beneath embattled, 2-storey oriel
window with transomed 5-light window to each floor; 2nd-floor window shorter and
with apron panels having blank shields, all lights cusped. 3rd-floor string
course with buttresses to right rising as an octagonal turret; 2 rectangular
openings with hoodmoulds. 4th-floor string course beneath recessed 4-light
window with hoodmould. Moulded band beneath embattled parapet. Left return
of tower has 2 projecting, lateral stacks; right return has two 2-light
windows to 3rd floor with relieving arches and hoodmoulds, 2 similar 4th-floor
windows with hoodmoulds. Large embattled, octagonal turret to rear right
Side wings : plinth, quoins. Each bay has moulded cross windows with each
upper light divided into 2 cusped openings. Relieving arches to ground floor.
Each lst-floor window set beneath a coped gable and linked by a string course
with gargoyle and a section of embattled parapet. Moulded gable copings with
end stacks, that to right with tall castellated pot. Additional bays to far
left : less ornate and with attic-storey lit from front gables, lower roofs
than adjacent side-wing. Bay to left wider and with embattled, single-storey
canted-bay window; transomed 3-light window to 1st floor with string course
rising as hoodmould; 2-light attic window with relieving arch. Bay to right
has cross window to lower floors, single light to attic.
Left return : pointed doorway in 2-storey projection. Right return : simpler
elevation in keeping with main facade.
Rotherham Advertiser, Sept. 23, 1876 (details of opening ceremony).
Listing NGR: SK4328491614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings