This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.429 / 53°25'44"N
Longitude: -1.5993 / 1°35'57"W
OS Eastings: 426718
OS Northings: 392542
OS Grid: SK267925
Mapcode National: GBR KX8S.JJ
Mapcode Global: WHCC9.D2NL
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 25 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335437
Location: Bradfield, Sheffield, S6
Civil Parish: Bradfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bradfield St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK29SE BRADFIELD TOWNGATE
9/114 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Reused arcade piers of c1200. C14 tower, rest largely
Perpendicular. Ashlar gritstone, lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled
nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapels. Wave-
moulded plinth,offset buttresses between bays, embattled parapets with
crocketed pinnacles throughout. West tower: 3 stages, plinth, tall
diagonal buttresses. West door beneath 2-light cusped Y-tracery
window. String course beneath similar 2-light bell openings. Another
string course beneath parapet with corner pinnacles. Clock on south
face dated 1867. Nave: South porch to bay 2 has diagonal buttresses.
3-light windows to other bays with panel tracery, depressed arches and
hoodmoulds. Small flat-pointed window to bay 3, doorway to right of
bay 4. Square-headed 2-light windows to clerestorey. Chapel and
chancel windows similar to south aisle. East window: 5 lights with
panel tracery and hoodmould beneath peaked stringcourse. Flanking
gargoyles, one in the form of dragon, the other a dog. Apex cross.
East window of north chapel has curvilinear tracery. North aisle has
square-headed windows of 3 and 4 lights, some cusped, some plain.
Tudor-arched 4-light window to north chapel. Interior: early work
evidenced by octagonal and round nave piers with hacked-off capitals,
keeled responds to chancel arch. All arches double-chamfered.
Unusual sunken vestry in south chapel. On north wall a Saxon cross
found in Low Bradfield and moved to church in 1886. Font: a plain
Norman bowl with tall C19 cover. Reredos: incorporates medieval
panels brought from Caen. Brass plaque fixed on south pier of chancel
depicts John Morewood and his family, dated 1647. Glass mostly c19,
early fragments in north aisle. Original nave roof with cambered tie
beams and carved bosses. Chancel roof is of 1901.
Listing NGR: SK2671992541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings