This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4341 / 53°26'2"N
Longitude: -1.349 / 1°20'56"W
OS Eastings: 443349
OS Northings: 393235
OS Grid: SK433932
Mapcode National: GBR MX0Q.RP
Mapcode Global: WHDDC.7YW6
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335697
Location: Rotherham, S65
Electoral Ward/Division: Rotherham East
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49SW ROTHERHAM ST. ANN'S ROAD
5/62 Church of
Church. 1874 by T. D. Barry and Son of Liverpool; superintendent architect
E. I. Hubbard; tower and spire of original scheme not erected until 1910,
chancel extended 1912 (Happs). Coursed, rock-faced sandstone, Welsh slate roof.
6-bay nave with aisles, north-west porch and south-west tower. 2-bay chancel
with separately-roofed addition to south and lean-to vestry to north. Gothic
Revival, Decorated-style tracery. Tower: offset angle buttresses. West door
in gabled projection infilling buttresses has 2 orders of colonnettes to pointed
arch. Cusped lancet beneath paired 2-light belfry openings with blind panels,
louvres and tracery beneath pointed arches. Buttresses terminate as gablets with
carved-head stops. Corbel table and string course with corner gargoyles beneath
ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings. Recessed octagonal spire with crockets
near top. Nave: aisles have chamfered plinths and offset buttresses between bays;
2-light windows with stained glass and carved stops to hoodmoulds, doorway to east
bay on north side. 2-light clerestorey windows with segmentally-pointed arches.
4-light west window with, to its left, a 2-light aisle window and beyond an
octagonal bell turret with spirelet at junction with gabled north porch. Steeply-
pitched roofs with gable copings and iron crosses, crested ridge tiles to porch.
Chancel: lower and with 5-light east window flanked by diagonal buttresses. 2-light
windows to side walls and another to south addition. Square-headed 3-light window
to vestry with pointed door to its west. Gable copings, chancel cross, crested
Interior: 6-bay arcade to north aisle and 5-bay arcade to south, octagonal piers
with carved capitals and chamfered pointed arches. Moulded chancel arch. Encaustic
tiles. East window by T. W. Camm of Smethick, 1910.
M. E. Happs, A Brief History of St. Stephen"s Church Rotherham 1874-1974.1974.
Listing NGR: SK4334993235
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings