This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9903 / 51°59'25"N
Longitude: -1.0751 / 1°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 463606
OS Northings: 232835
OS Grid: SP636328
Mapcode National: GBR 9XS.510
Mapcode Global: VHCWS.B70K
Entry Name: Finmere House the Tudor House
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Last Amended: 3 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243603
Location: Finmere, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, MK18
Civil Parish: Finmere
Built-Up Area: Finmere
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Finmere
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FINMERE MERE ROAD
SP6232-6332 (South side)
12/11 Finmere House and The Tudor
(Formerly listed as Finmere
House, now 2 dwellings. C17 refronted 1739, the date on rainwater heads. C19 and
C20 additions to left and rear. Red brick; squared coursed limestone to sides
and rear. Steeply pitched red-tile roofs with stone coped gables. Brick end
stacks. 2 buildings. Main part on right. 2 storeys plus attic. 7-window range.
2:3:2 bays. Central entrance had 5-panelled door and pedimented stone surround.
Entrance is flanked by sashes with glazing bars and keyblock lintels. Slightly
advanced 3 bay centre has central window with semi-circular head. Pediment has a
round window. 2 gabled dormers. Brick parapet with stone coping. Squared,
coursed limestone plinth. Left part. Single stormy plus attic. Entrance to left
has 6-panelled door and pedimented stone surround. 5 sash windows to right
within the same stone surround and a small oriel window further to right. 2
gabled dormers. Brick parapet. Rear wing (now The Tudor House). Squared coursed
limestone. Steeply pitched red-tile roof. Renewed brick roof stacks. Renewed
windows and door in original openings. Intterior: C17 part noted as restored.
C18 painted deal panelling. John Pollard (d.1761) bought the house from the
James family in 1739. The Gazing Stag on the rainwater heads of 1739 is for John
Pollard, and is also on his tomb in Finmere churchyard. Interior not inspected,
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p605; VCH: 0xfordshire: Vol VII p117;
Blomfeld, J.C.: History of Finmere in History of the Present Deanery of
Bicester: 1887, p16; Photograph in N.M.R.) .
Listing NGR: SP6360632835
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings