History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Finmere, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.993 / 51°59'34"N

Longitude: -1.0742 / 1°4'27"W

OS Eastings: 463662

OS Northings: 233136

OS Grid: SP636331

Mapcode National: GBR 9XS.56M

Mapcode Global: VHCWS.B5GG

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243605

Location: Finmere, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, MK18

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Finmere

Built-Up Area: Finmere

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Finmere

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hethe

Listing Text

FINMERE WATER STRATFORD ROAD
SP6333 (East side)
11/13 Church of St. Michael
07/12/66

GV II

Church. C14, restored by G. E. Street in 1856-8. North aisle added at time of
Street's restoration and also chancel arch widened. Squared coursed limestone.
C20-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry, west tower and south porch.
4-window range. Chancel has a 3-light Reticulated east window, C19 lancets on
north and 2-light Reticulated window on south. Restored priest's door on south.
Nave has a 2-light lancet and 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Two
2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows. Gabled south porch. C19 door. West
tower of stages with crenellated parapet. String courses and louvred opening
to bell-turret. Stone coped gables. Interior. C19 fixtures and fittings. C19
roofs. C19 three-bay north arcade. C12 tub shaped font. C18 wall memorials to
the Turner family; Francis James and Nathaniel Bacon, d.1739 and 1740
respectively; William Chaplin d.1776. C19 glass in west window.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp604-5; VCH: 0xfordshire: Vol VI,
p123)


Listing NGR: SP6366233136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.