History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greatworth, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0771 / 52°4'37"N

Longitude: -1.1954 / 1°11'43"W

OS Eastings: 455236

OS Northings: 242382

OS Grid: SP552423

Mapcode National: GBR 8V4.QLH

Mapcode Global: VHCWB.72C1

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 18 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234009

Location: Greatworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Greatworth

Built-Up Area: Greatworth

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Greatworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Greatworth

Listing Text

SP5542 GREATWORTH CHURCH ROAD

10/109 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Parish Church. C13, C14 and C17, restored C19. Squared coursed limestone
with ironstone dressings. Chancel, nave, west tower. Chancel, east window
is C13 triple lancet with hood and head stops. Priest's doorway in south wall
flanked by 2 plain C13 lancets. 2 similar windows (renewed) in north wall.
Nave has two C17 windows in north and south walls, each of 2 arched lights, the
heads probably altered in C19. South doorway C17 with flat arched head and
ribbed plank door. South porch C19. West tower C14, of 3 stages with
crenellated parapet. Bell openings of 2-lights with flowing tracery, except
that on east, with a trefoiled lancet. Similar window in south wall on ground
stage. C14 west doorway with continuous mouldings. Interior: Chancel arch
rebuilt 1882 by H.R. Gough. Tower arch C14 of 3 continuous chamfered orders and
hood with head stops. Early C17 polygonal panelled pulpit. Wall monument to Sir
William Pargiter, 1678 stone. Inscription framed by draperies, cherubs heads
and cartouche with coat of arms. Elianor Howe, died 1696, marble inscription
plaque on gadrooned console with cherubs heads surmounted by urn. Charles Howe,
1741, marble rococo cartouche with scrolls, foliage and skull.


Listing NGR: SP5523642382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.