This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4436 / 53°26'36"N
Longitude: -1.47 / 1°28'11"W
OS Eastings: 435302
OS Northings: 394222
OS Grid: SK353942
Mapcode National: GBR LX5M.K9
Mapcode Global: WHDD9.DP7Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335457
Location: Ecclesfield, Sheffield, S35
Civil Parish: Ecclesfield
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ecclesfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE ECCLESFIELD CHURCH STREET
11/134 Church of St. Mary
Church. Arcade piers of c1200, rest largely Perpendicular. Ashlar
sandstone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 5-bay aisled nave with south
porch, crossing tower, and 3-bay chancel with north and south chapels.
A shallow single-bay projection in the angle of each aisle and
transept. Chamfered plinth beneath double wave-moulded bands, off-
set buttresses between bays, embattled parapets throughout with
crocketed pinnacles to all except aisles. Nave: south porch to bay 2
has half-detached angle buttresses with pinnacles linked to wall by
small flying buttresses. Similar buttresses to rest of south aisle.
Each bay has 3-light windows with transoms and cusped tracery,
depressed arches with hoodmoulds. 3-light arched clerestorey windows.
West end: recessed, arched doorway beneath west window of 5 lights
with panel tracery, 3-light aisle windows. Tower: 3 stages with
string course to each. Clock set in lozenge-shaped panel on south
wall, 2-light round-headed bell openings above. Gargoyles to string
course beneath embattled parapet with 8 pinnacles. South transept:
small recessed doorway beneath 5-light transomed south window with
cusped tracery. Chancel: 3-light windows to south chapel as aisle,
3-light windows to end bay of chancel withouttnnsom,. East window;
5 lights, panel tracery. Interior: fragment of C13 arch re-erected
within porch. North arcade piers cylindrical, south piers octagonal,
keeled responds to west wall, double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch
with 3 sunk quarter-round mouldings, half-octagonal responds,. Font:
octagonal on moulded plinth, bears date 1662, reworked. Rood screen
with traceried 2-light divisions, restored coving. Parclose screens
with single-light divisions. Stalls attached to rood screen have 2
misericords with heads, heads also carved on arms. Good carved
figures on bench ends in the north chapel. A south chapel bench end
bears the date 1564. Also in the south chapel, monument to
Sir Richard Scott, 1640 by William Wright, restored 1749: Recumbent
figure behind 2-bay arcade with taller central column, all set
within wrought iron enclosure. Chapels have fine original timber
roofs with bosses. C20 nave roof. Medieval glass in bay 1 of north
aisle otherwise good Victorian work detailed in Pevsner, Buildings
of England : Yorkshire The West Riding, 1967 ed. p190.
Listing NGR: SK3530394220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings