This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4786 / 53°28'42"N
Longitude: -1.4231 / 1°25'22"W
OS Eastings: 438387
OS Northings: 398141
OS Grid: SK383981
Mapcode National: GBR LXH6.QR
Mapcode Global: WHDD4.3TML
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192788
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335572
Location: Wentworth, Rotherham, S62
Civil Parish: Wentworth
Built-Up Area: Wentworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wentworth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39NE WENTWORTH CHURCH DRIVE
4/64 Church of the
Church. Built 1872-76, consecrated 1877. By J. L. Pearson for the
children of Charles William, 5th Earl Fitzwilliam and his wife Mary
in memory of their parents. Thinly-coursed and snecked sandstone,
ashlar dressings, tile roof. Cruciform plan orientated north-west/
south-east (ritual orientation used here). 4½-bay aisled nave with
north porch; crossing tower with spire; 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
Gothic revival: late C13 style, geometrical tracery. Plinth, moulded
band and string course run round building rising with ground to south.
Offset buttresses between bays and at angles. Hoodmoulds with delicate
stops. Gable copings with crosses. Nave: north porch approached by
steps within ashlar wing walls; iron gate; tripartite responds to moulded
arches with dog-tooth ornament; foiled side-wall openings; rib-vaulted
roof. Aisle bays to left each have two 2-light windows. Small turret
to right in angle with porch. Clerestorey: pilaster buttresses, 3-light
windows, carved eaves band. Transepts: lower, each with 6-light window
and small rose window to gable. Tower: two 2-light gallery windows
flank abutting transept roofs. Clock and offset band beneath coupled,
2-light, louvred belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles
beneath embattled parapet. Recessed broach spire with lucarnes and
weathervane. Cylindrical stair-turret to south-east corner with arcaded
panel beneath conical cap. Chancel: single-storey north vestry with 2,
square-headed, 3-light windows; priest's door to right. 3-light windows
to chancel; east window of 5 lights beneath rose window.
Interior: Nave:4-bay arcades with compound piers and moulded arches.
Attached columns rise from arcade capitals to springing of vault ribs.
Clerestorey windows flanked by blind windows all within arched recess.
Crossing: arches with dog-tooth ornament; gallery with 2 twin arches to
each side; octopartite vault. Exposed stone rib-vaulting throughout.
Dedication of church carved in bold letters at west end beneath stained-
glass window by C. E. Kempe. Decorative frieze beneath clerestorey.
Chancel has marble steps and paving. East window, 1888, by Clayton and
Bell. Fitzwilliam brasses beneath south transept window.
A. P. Quiney, 'Wentworth Churches', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980,
Listing NGR: SK3838798141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings