This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3477 / 53°20'51"N
Longitude: -1.2209 / 1°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 451964
OS Northings: 383705
OS Grid: SK519837
Mapcode National: GBR MYXQ.GN
Mapcode Global: WHDF0.63WX
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335820
Location: North and South Anston, Rotherham, S25
Civil Parish: North and South Anston
Built-Up Area: Dinnington (Rotherham)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Anston St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
NORTH AND SOUTH ANSTON SHEFFIELD ROAD
(south side), South Anston
5/70 Church of St. James
Church. C14 with C15 tower and clerestorey, restored 1886 and 1890. Ashlar
and dressed limestone, lead and green slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled
nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with single-bay south vestry in overlap
of aisle. Tower: Perpendicular style. Chamfered plinth and moulded band.
Diagonal buttresses flank west door offset to the north and having moulded,
hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould; 3-light window over has cusped,
pointed lights and hoodmould; slit windows to internal stair on right. Large
iron clock faces to north and west. String course beneath pointed 2-light
belfry openings with louvres; another beneath embattled octagonal parapet
with buttresses rising as crocketed corner pinnacles. Recessed octagonal
spire with weathervane. Nave: gabled porch to bay 1 has double-chamfered
south door with hoodmould. Buttresses between other bays having square-headed
3-light windows with restored Decorated-style tracery and deep hoodmoulds;
plainly-coped parapets. C15 clerestorey has 2-light windows with ogee lights
beneath square heads, hoodmould with good head-and animal-carved stops;
embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Chancel: narrower. Overlapping
south vestry addition has snecked walling and window in style as nave as is
south chancel window. C14 east window of 5 lights with flowing tracery and
hoodmould. Pointed, 2-light north windows. East gable copings with cross.
Interior: double-chamfered tower arch rises from chamfered, quoined jambs.
3-bay north and south arcades: octagonal north piers and imposts with simple
capitals, south piers are quatrefoil and have moulded capitals; double-chamfered
arches. Arched recesses in north and south aisle walls, that to north with
C14 monument. Original C14 east window of south aisle preserved in-situ,
also in south aisle an elaborate double piscina with ogee-headed openings.
Chancel: double-chamfered arch on half-quatrefoil responds. C14 sedilia:
3 seats divided by slender, chamfered shafts, moulded arches beneath castellated
cresting. Fittings:carved reredos depicting last supper, 1900. Monuments:
in north aisle recess, an effigial slab of lady with small daughter by her
side, her pillow held by angels whilst another reaches down to the child.
Brass to east of vestry door to Mary Hutton (d 1662).
Listing NGR: SK5196483702
Other nearby listed buildings