History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wincote

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lindfield, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.013 / 51°0'46"N

Longitude: -0.0813 / 0°4'52"W

OS Eastings: 534689

OS Northings: 125491

OS Grid: TQ346254

Mapcode National: GBR KN6.J7T

Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.N4Y

Entry Name: Wincote

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Last Amended: 11 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303068

Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Lindfield

Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lindfield

Listing Text


TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET
(west side)
6/157 No 63 (Wincote)
10.9.51 No 65 (formerly listed as
Humphrey's Bakery)
GV II*
2 houses and shop originally house. Quasi-aisled timberframed open hall of c1300-
1330 with contemporary crosswing to north with 1st floor hall, refronted in 1907.
2 storeys, No 63 faced in painted brick, No 65 stuccoed, the cross wing gabled with
weatherboarding. Tiled roof with gablet to No 63 and cruciform stack to No 65.
No 62 has 2 C19 sashes to 1st floor, ground floor canted bay and modern door to
left. No 65 has 2 modern 3 light casements, modern door and shop front. The north
elevation displays C14 flamboyant curved bracing, including passing braces and was
originally jettied. It contains 2 original C14 narrow trefoliated lancet windows,
a rare survival. No 65 displays closely spaced floor joists to the shop.
1st floor has 2 ogee-headed arches, originally leading to 1st floor hall and
massive arched braces. Corner post, square in section with quadripartite braces.
(See R T Mason "Framed buildings of the Weald" p24, p54 and p75. Also, by same
author, "3 Medieval Houses in East Sussex", Sussex Archaeological Collections, Vol XCI).


Listing NGR: TQ3468925491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.