History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cavenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.297 / 52°17'49"N

Longitude: 0.5848 / 0°35'5"E

OS Eastings: 576360

OS Northings: 269682

OS Grid: TL763696

Mapcode National: GBR PBQ.YH8

Mapcode Global: VHJGF.3J1H

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275753

Location: Cavenham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Cavenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tuddenham with Cavenham, Herringswell and Red Lodge

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Tuddenham

Listing Text

TL 76 NE CAVENHAM THE STREET

7/12 Church of St. Andrew
7/5/54
- II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1870. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch.
Flint rubble, with areas of plaster-work; limestone dressings. Plaintiled
roofs (the tower roof is flat behind crenellated parapets). Parapet gables;
the kneeler stones at 2 south corners of nave have figure-carving, and on the
north dog-tooth, all of C13. Early C13 walling to chancel, with 2 lancets and
a 3rd blocked; hood-moulded priests doorway. Various alterations throughout
C14. In south chancel wall is an early C14 low-side window, containing border
glass and the inscription: "PRIEZ POR ADAM LA VICAR". 2 similar windows in
nave. Small unbuttressed tower, perhaps of early C14; foundations and gable-
weathering survive from a cell at the west end, perhaps a porch with room
above; it was demolished by C18. The tower has lion-head gargoyles and
restored 2-light belfry openings. A plain C14 west doorway with sub-mediaeval
oak-mullioned window above. A mid C14 chancel window has dropped-cill sedila
and a linked piscina with crocketed pediment and corner shaft. Opposite is a
little reliquary recess. Several C14 windows, some with good but decaying
clunch tracery. Simple late C14 north and south doorways, and south porch with
pilastered doorway. Late C14 chancel arch, with much-altered screen; painted
boarded lower panels; the upper tracery renewed C16, and the strapwork central
drop-tracery early C17. Octagonal limestone font, perhaps late C14, with
circular bowl. Plain C17 octagonal pulpit. A C15 figure wall-painting on the
north wall. In the chancel a wall-tablet to William Webb, d. 1754. In the
nave, a floor brass to John Symunt,d. 1588. Flanking the east window of 1870
are 2 panels of c.1800 with painted Ten Commandments.


Listing NGR: TL7636069682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.