History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chancel of the Chapel of the Hospital of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.87 / 50°52'12"N

Longitude: 0.0068 / 0°0'24"E

OS Eastings: 541301

OS Northings: 109756

OS Grid: TQ413097

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8KG

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.SKH

Entry Name: Former Chancel of the Chapel of the Hospital of St James

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Last Amended: 30 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192834

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293420

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

In the entry for

TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
(west side) Southover

14/430 Former Chancel of
the Chapel of the
Hospital of St James

The address shall be amended to read

TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
(west side) Southover

14/430 Former Chancel of
the Chapel of the
25.2.52 Hospital of St James
(formerly listed
as Rookery Cottage)

------------------------------------

TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
14/430 (west side)
Southover

Former chancel of the Chapel
of the Hospital of St James

GV II

Former chancel of the Chapel of the Hospital of St James, now the pottery
shop of Lewes Priory School. Circa 1350, heavily restored since and
particularly in the C19 and C20. Knapped squared flint on ohamfered stone
plinth, with some stone and some brick quoins and dressings. Plain tiled
roof with bargeboards and finials. Two single-light windows with cusped
ogee-heads in rectangular chamfered openings. West end of random and snecked
dressed stone. Interior: completely clad internally. The Hospital of
St James was built by the monks of Lewes Priory during the C14 when the chapel
of St John within the Priory Gate became too small for parochial needs and
the hospitium was converted to become the future parish church of St John,
Southover.


Listing NGR: TQ4130109756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.