This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9617 / 51°57'42"N
Longitude: -1.1615 / 1°9'41"W
OS Eastings: 457710
OS Northings: 229576
OS Grid: SP577295
Mapcode National: GBR 8WK.TDR
Mapcode Global: VHCWQ.TYBK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243624
Location: Hardwick with Tusmore, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Hardwick with Tusmore
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cottisford and Hardwick-cum-Tusmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HARDWICK WITH TUSMORE HETHE ROAD
SP5729 (South side)
16/31 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 chancel and chancel arch. Rest of church almost entirelv rebuilt in
1878 to designs of G.G. Scott junior. South aisle and south porch added at this
time. Re-used C13 north and south doorways and large Perpendicular west window.
Coursed limestone and squared coursed limestone steeply pitched stone slate roof
laid to diminishing courses. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch. 3-window range.
Chancel has 3-light reticulated window on east. On north a pointed arched
priest's door and 2-light Decorated window on south a 2-light similar window and
a trefoiled lancet. South aisle has 2-light Decorated style C19 windows and
gabled C19 porch. 3-light C19 west window. Pointed arched south doorway with
hood mould and label stops. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Nave has a
pointed arched north doorway with C19 door and a 2-light Decorated window.
Buttresses on north. Stone coped gables. Bellcote on west. Interior. 3 bay south
arcade of C19 restoration. C19 and C20 fixtures and fittings. Inscriptions to
Captain Francis Hereman, d.1687; Ralph Hatton, d.1694 and Mary 1717; Ann wife of
Nicholas Saers, d.1721; Samuel Todey, d.1721; C18 memorials to members of
Freeman family; Brass to Henry Howard, 2nd Earl of Effingham, d.1889; East
window has mid C14 tracery lights with St. John the Baptist and Christ in
Majesty by Clayton and Bell. West window by Burlinson and Grylls with 2 inserted
late C15/early C16 panels of the Crucifixion and Christ in Judgement.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp632-3; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
Listing NGR: SP5771029576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings