This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3276 / 53°19'39"N
Longitude: -1.1937 / 1°11'37"W
OS Eastings: 453797
OS Northings: 381489
OS Grid: SK537814
Mapcode National: GBR NY3Y.CW
Mapcode Global: WHDF0.MMRC
Entry Name: Chesterfield Canal Thorpe Flight of Locks Between Bridge 35 (To West of Low Spring Wood) and Turnerwood Bridge
Listing Date: 15 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335833
Location: Thorpe Salvin, Rotherham, S80
Civil Parish: Thorpe Salvin
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Salvin St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
THORPE SALVIN CHESTERFIELD CANAL
Thorpe Flight of locks
5/85 between Bridge 35 (to
west of Low Spring Wood)
and Turnerwood Bridge
Flight of canal locks partly in the parish of North and South Anston. Late
C18, some altered. For the Chesterfield Canal Company. Rubble and ashlar limestone, brick linings. 8 narrow lock structures all 2.1 metres in width; 2 are double locks and 1 a treble staircase. Generally the locks have stone entry and exit walls with brick linings to the locks proper, some with ashlar course near low water line; ashlar lock-gate recesses (gates removed) have hollow-quoined heel-post housings. Stone edgings preserved best to west although absent on much of flight. Low Treble lock (nos 26-28) near centre of flight, has ashlar south wall to central section. Westernmost lock (no 23) is most intact although much renewed. Turnerwood Double lock (nos 33/34) has Turnerwood Bridge attached
(bridge not of special interest). Although in a varied state of preservation
the flight is an important element of the Chesterfield Canal as surveyed by
James Brindley and built between 1771 and 1777 under the supervision of John
Varley and Hugh Henshall. Linked Chesterfield with Stockwith to gain access
to eastern waterways. Names of other locks in flight given in:
The Chesterfield Canal, preservation society booklet, 1981.
Listing NGR: SK5379781488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings