This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5215 / 53°31'17"N
Longitude: -1.1275 / 1°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 457944
OS Northings: 403117
OS Grid: SE579031
Mapcode National: GBR NWKQ.PC
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.NR95
Entry Name: The Ncb Offices
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335093
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER SOUTH PARADE
SE 5703 SE (south side)
7/95 Nos 16, 16a and
17, The NCB Offices
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
Three houses, now one office. Late C18 with some later alterations. Stucco
with painted stone dressings and slate roofs. Three storeys, 4 bays of varying
sizes. Left bay is slightly advanced and slightly taller than the rest of
the building and has an advanced area of walling to centre, to ground and
first floors. Wide right hand bay also projects slightly. Plinth. Semi-
circular headed doorcase to narrow bay 3 has moulded architrave, reeded imposts,
swagged decoration in the spandrels and moulded hood on fluted consoles.
Within is a double leaf 6 raised and fielded panelled door below traceried
fanlight. Right hand bay has a two storey bow with central tripartite sash
window with 12 and 8 pane sashes, flanked by narrow blind flat headed recesses.
Tripartite sash window with glazing bars to left of door and similar bowed
window, set at higher level, to two storey bow of left hand bay which has
a continuous sill band. All other openings with projecting sills. First
floor has wide continuous band across bays 2, 3 and 4 but narrower band set
at higher level to left hand bay. This bay has full height corniced tripartite
bow window with unequally hung 15 and 5 pane sashes and semi-circular bracketed
ironwork balcony with alternating wavy and plain bars. Central bays have
a tripartite 12 and 4 pane sash window with projecting sill to left and an
8 pane sash with similar sill to right. Right hand bay has full height
tripartite window with unequally hung 15 and 10 pane sashes flanked by semi-
circular headed narrow recesses. Corniced top to right hand bow at level
of second floor band. Left hand bay with similar band set slightly higher.
Second floor has 6 pane sash to left, tripartite window with 6 and 2 pane
sashes to right, 4 pane sash beyond and tripartite window with 6 and 4 pane
sashes below cornice with central pediment, flanked by flat headed recesses
to far right. All windows with projecting sills. Moulded stone cornice
with blocking course to left bay. Hipped roof with brick end wall stack
to left bay. 3 raking dormers to right hand bays, two with 4 pane sashes
and one to centre with side sliding sashes. Ridge and end wall brick stacks.
Interior has cantilevered open well stone staircase with wreathed mahogany
handrail and alternating wavy and stick iron balusters, in rear staircase
hall. Entrance hall with moulded cornice and round arch with paterae to
spandrels through to the staircase. Panelled room to right with moulded
cornice and dado rail.
Listing NGR: SE5794403117
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings