This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.514 / 53°30'50"N
Longitude: -1.1515 / 1°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 456362
OS Northings: 402255
OS Grid: SE563022
Mapcode National: GBR NWDT.H2
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.8YX0
Entry Name: Patrick Stirling Monument
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Last Amended: 5 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335097
Location: Doncaster, DN4
Electoral Ward/Division: Hexthorpe & Balby North
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St Jude Hexthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER
SE 50 SE PATRICK STERLING COURT
(North west side)
Patrick Sterling Monument
1281-/3/99 (Formerly listed as:
ST JAMES'S BRIDGE
Patrick Sterling Monument)
Monument. 1890. Polished pink granite on ashlar base. Approximately 12 feet high. Two octagonal stone steps up to monument with octagonal base. Moulded plinth to circular stem with four semi-circular projecting bowls to collect drinking water. Over the bowls are three inscribed plaques with colonnettes between, supporting moulded capitals. Pinnacle finial to top on fluted stem and moulded plinth. Erected to commemorate the 70th birthday of Sir Patrick Stirling who joined the Great Northern Railway in 1866 and introduced notable innovations in locomotive practice and performance in the 30 years he worked there. Listed for historic association.
Sources: J N Westwood 'Locomotive designers in the Age of Steam' 1977, F A S Brown'From Stirling to Gresley 1882-1922' 1974.
This monument was originally sited at the junction of Station Road and St Sepulchre Gate. It was moved to the east end of St James's Bridge in 1904, and to its present site in 1993.
Listing NGR: SE5638002259
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings