History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Studley Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horton-cum-Studley, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8068 / 51°48'24"N

Longitude: -1.1344 / 1°8'3"W

OS Eastings: 459777

OS Northings: 212367

OS Grid: SP597123

Mapcode National: GBR 8YJ.N0K

Mapcode Global: VHCXJ.9V49

Entry Name: Studley Almshouses

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243301

Location: Horton-cum-Studley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Horton-cum-Studley

Built-Up Area: Horton-cum-Studley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Horton-cum-Studley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Boarstall

Listing Text

HORTON CUM STUDLEY STUDLEY
SP5912
14/64 Studley Almshouses
26/11/51
GV II*
Shown on Ordnance Survey Sheet as Studley Cottages.
Row of 4 almshouses, probably formerly 8. Built 1639 for Sir George Croke. Brick
in English bond with limestone-ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roof with brick
ridge stacks. Single range of 2-unit lobby-entry plans, probably each originally
2 dwellings. Single storey. Symmetrical front, with moulded brick plinth and
dentil eaves course, has 4 stone doorways with chamfered 4-centred arches,
recessed spandrels and labels, each between a pair of 3-light concave-chamfered
stone-mullioned windows with labels. The old plank doors and hinges are probably
original. The 4 moulded brick stacks each have 2 diagonal shafts with corbelled
caps, one stack with the remains of a stone sundial. A stone tablet on the front
wall has a Latin inscription which includes the date. Rear wall formerly had
only one small slit window to each unit; present casements and doors are C20
insertions. Interior: blocked fireplaces with cambered stop-chamfered
bressumers; some old plank doors.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.58; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.656).


Listing NGR: SP5977712367

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.