History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument Approximately 8 Metres to East of Wood Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Edlington, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4804 / 53°28'49"N

Longitude: -1.176 / 1°10'33"W

OS Eastings: 454781

OS Northings: 398502

OS Grid: SK547985

Mapcode National: GBR NX76.63

Mapcode Global: WHDD7.XS57

Entry Name: Monument Approximately 8 Metres to East of Wood Hall

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334818

Location: Edlington, Doncaster, DN12

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Edlington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Edlington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Mexborough

Listing Text

EDLINGTON EDLINGTON WOOD

SK59NW Monument approximately
8 metres to east of
Wood Hall

II

Monument. Dated 1714. For Robert Molesworth M.P. in memory of his dog.
Ashlar magnesian limestone or weathered marble. Square pedestal surmounted
by vase. Moulded plinth to die with fielded panels on 2 sides, long
inscriptions (mostly indecipherable) and depiction of dog; cornice. Inverted
pear-shaped vase has octagonal base, turned foot and gadrooning. Molesworth
used Edlington as a country estate and planted large tracts of the existing
woodland, the monument formed its centrepiece and commemorates the dog which
is said to have saved his master from being shot by an intruder. The Latin
inscription is thought to have been composed by Dean Lockyer of Peterborough
(a friend of Dryden) and extols the dog's virtues before concluding:-

'That master, not unmindful of his merits,
with tears, within this marble urn
hath placed his dead remains
M. F. C. 1714'

The monument formed a landmark specifically noted by topographers since the
mid C18.
H. Phillip (ed), Edlington Wood, 1973 pp 1-4, J. Goodchild, 'Recent History'.


Listing NGR: SK5478198502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.