History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Studley Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horton-cum-Studley, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8054 / 51°48'19"N

Longitude: -1.1348 / 1°8'5"W

OS Eastings: 459753

OS Northings: 212219

OS Grid: SP597122

Mapcode National: GBR 8YJ.MYK

Mapcode Global: VHCXJ.8WYB

Entry Name: Studley Priory

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243305

Location: Horton-cum-Studley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Horton-cum-Studley

Built-Up Area: Horton-cum-Studley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Horton-cum-Studley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Boarstall

Listing Text

HORTON CUM STUDLEY STUDLEY
SP5912
14/68 Studley Priory
26/11/51
- II*
Country house, now hotel, incorporating monastic buildings. Probably C14 and
C15, remodelled and extended late C16 for Sir John Croke and early C17 for Sir
George Croke; wing added early C19. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old
plain-tile roof with brick stacks. Complex plan. Right half of main range, of 2
storeys plus attic, is probably C14 but has tall C16 stone-mullioned and
transomed windows arranged irregularly. Central 2-storey porch has a Renaissance
archway flanked by fluted Doric pilasters, carrying an entablature with a frieze
of triglyphs and medallions, over which is a panel containing 3 shields of arms,
dated 1587, enlarged to include a fourth dated 1622; at first floor a large
3-light mullioned-and-transomed window with square-headed lights is flanked by
Ionic columns on panelled pedestals, rising to consoles and a triangular
pediment within the gable, which contains biblical quotation, a Tudor rose, a
crown and the initials "E.R.". The hall to left of the porch, has similar
windows arranged regularly and is probably C16. Its moulded plinth returns
around a projecting triple-gabled section to left, incorporating the hall bay
window, with large transomed windows up to 5 lights wide and a central bay
window of 1877. Projecting early C17 multi-gabled range to left, of one storey
plus attic, was a chapel, and has 2-light transomed side windows, a 6-light
window in the front gable wall, with 3- and 4-light windows in the gables and a
blocked basket-arched doorway to right. Windows have hollow chamfers and
4-centre arched upper lights as in the other ranges, and the gables have similar
vase finials on their apexes but lack moulded projecting kneelers. Roof has a
timber bellcote. Long stable range to left of chapel wing has, at ground floor,
similar 2- and 3-light mullioned windows plus 2 moulded stone doorways, but most
first floor windows were inserted when the roof was raised in 1924; the
parapetted dormer gable with a 3-light window is original. A rough datestone is
inscribed "AC/1666". To right of the main range the low C15/early C16 kitchen
range projects; its front gable wall, with mullioned windows, continues to right
in a low 2-storey range with irregular fenestration which includes a chamfered
4-centre arched doorway and several deeply-chamfered openings; it is probably
late medieval, and terminates in a short stable section. Rear of this range has
further openings. Rear of kitchen includes a large 3-light window with massive
chamfered mullioned plus a large projecting chimney on the rear gable wall. Wing
projecting to rear of kitchen is probably early C17; second wing to rear of the
hall is c.1820 with a large canted 2-storey bay window forming its rear wall.
Rear of triple-gabled block also has 3 gables, one higher above the stair tower,
and includes 6- and 7-light transomed windows. Rear of chapel is similar to its
front wall. Rear of stable range has inserted C20 mullioned windows. Roofs have
numerous stacks with clusters of diagonally set shafts. Interior: large built-up
late-medieval fireplace in kitchen; 2 stone 4-centre arched doorways leading
from cross passage into kitchen wing; several C16/early C17 doorways on main
stair, at first floor and in attics; some original heavy bulbous balusters plus
a short stone baslutrade of similar design. C17 panelling in parlour; early C18
bolection-mould panelling in hall; Regency Gothick open-well stair; marble
fireplace in Regency drawing room. 7-canted coupled-rafter roof with upper
collars on C14 range; butt-purlin roof with curved windbraces and heavy carved
struts on kitchen wing; butt-purlin roofs over C16/C17 ranges. The Benedictine
Priory was founded 1184 and bought 1539 by John Croke.
(V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.V, p.58; Buildings of England: 0>;fGrdshire, pp.656-7;
H. Avray Tipping, "Studley Priory, Oxfordshire"; Country Life, July 11th 1908,
pp.54-62; Parke, A History of Studley Priory).


Listing NGR: SP5975312219

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.