History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bedgreave New Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Wales, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3399 / 53°20'23"N

Longitude: -1.3203 / 1°19'12"W

OS Eastings: 445355

OS Northings: 382765

OS Grid: SK453827

Mapcode National: GBR MY6T.YG

Mapcode Global: WHDDY.P9HY

Entry Name: Bedgreave New Mill

Listing Date: 5 December 1975

Last Amended: 15 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193059

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335866

Location: Wales, Rotherham, S26

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Wales

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wales St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Aston

Listing Text

WALES MANSFIELD ROAD
SK48SE
(west side, off)
Wales Bar
4/115 Bedgreave New Mill
5.12.75 (formerly listed as
Bedgreave Mill)

GV II

Corn mill now visitors' centre to country park. Probably mid-late C18, later
addition of engine house, restored and partly reconstructed c1982. Rubble and
ashlar sandstone, gables rebuilt in brick; C20 pantile roof. T-shaped plan with
mill forming cross-wing on left, lower range (now cafeteria) on right with later
engine house in rear angle. Mill: 2 storeys with loft, 2 windows and door to
1st floor. Large quoins. Ground floor has boarded door in bonded surround
flanked by C20 casements with small panes and thick glazing bars in square-faced
surrounds. 1st floor: wooden-framed door flanked by windows as below. Wooden-
linteled casement to brick gable which has shaped kneelers and renewed ashlar
copings. Range on right: single-storey. Large, quoined waggon entrance on left
has boarded infill with part-glazed double doors, 4 part-glazed doors and one
casement on right all beneath plain lintels. Rear: brick 1-storey engine house
has separate roof.

Interior: late-C19 machinery in bagging room of mill (in cross-wing) - gearing
and vertical shafts to 2 sets of millstones on 1st floor, horizontal screw
conveyor takes produce to a bagging point. A new mill pond is recorded in the
enclosure award of 1768 which may also be the date of the New Mill. Originally
driven by water power until converted to steam c1886 following seepage from the
mill race into mine workings. The remaining machinery indicates a final use as
a provender mill prior to closure in 1947. Focal point of this important mill
group.


Listing NGR: SK4535582765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.