This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2608 / 52°15'38"N
Longitude: 0.5581 / 0°33'29"E
OS Eastings: 574681
OS Northings: 265595
OS Grid: TL746655
Mapcode National: GBR PC8.9XR
Mapcode Global: VHJGL.MFFQ
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 16 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275779
Location: Higham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Higham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham Green St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 76 NW HIGHAM LOWER GREEN
6/38 Church of St. Stephen
Church. 1861, by G. Gilbert Scott. In the C13 Gothic style. Nave, chancel,
north aisle, north vestry and organ chamber, west tower and south porch.
Flint rubble with bands and dressings of limestone; parapet gables.
Plaintiled roofs. Apart from the tower, which is circular and is arcaded at
the belfry stage, with a short shingled spire, all external forms and
mouldings are in the mid C13 style. The nave arcading and other arches are
also in the manner of C13, but the crown post nave roof is of C14 type. The
baptistery, at the base of the tower, has a vaulted ceiling with ribs
springing from wall shafts; circular limestone font on multiple shafts.
Boarded doors have some good decorative ironwork. Stained glass throughout is
by Clayton and Bell, c.1875.
Listing NGR: TL7468165595
Other nearby listed buildings