History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Islip, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8239 / 51°49'25"N

Longitude: -1.2381 / 1°14'17"W

OS Eastings: 452608

OS Northings: 214191

OS Grid: SP526141

Mapcode National: GBR 8Y5.RS9

Mapcode Global: VHCXG.HFB5

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243312

Location: Islip, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Islip

Built-Up Area: Islip

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Islip

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Islip

Listing Text

ISLIP HIGH STREET
SP5214 (West side)
12/74 The Old House
26/11/51 (Formerly listed as The Old
School House (The Old House),
The Walk)
- II
School and school-house, now house. 1710 for Dr. Robert South, probably partly
rebuilt late C18/early C19. Random and coursed limestone rubble with some ashlar
dressings; Stonesfield-slate and artificial stone-slate roofs with rubble and
brick stacks. T plan. 2 storeys plus attic and one storey plus attic.
Symmetrical 3-window front of school-house has 3 tall renewed 2-light casements
at each floor below flat arches with projecting keyblocks; roof has 2 large
gabled C19 roof dormers. Gable walls have stacks, the rubble chimney projection
to left very large with stone-slated offsets. Lower rear wing, which returns to
right at the far end, has large segmental-arched windows and was formerly the
school rooms; it is probably C18 but a re-set plaque with a moulded border
commemorates the school's foundation in 1710. Small single-storey annexe
attached to right rear angle of house has a large projecting stone stack and was
probably a kitchen. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.218; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, p.665).


Listing NGR: SP5260814191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.