This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4698 / 53°28'11"N
Longitude: -1.3999 / 1°23'59"W
OS Eastings: 439930
OS Northings: 397174
OS Grid: SK399971
Mapcode National: GBR LXN9.QW
Mapcode Global: WHDDB.G1LT
Entry Name: Doric Temple
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 21 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335610
Location: Wentworth, Rotherham, S62
Civil Parish: Wentworth
Built-Up Area: Wentworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wentworth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39NE WENTWORTH WENTWORTH PARK
4/103 Doric Temple (formerly listed
29.4.52 with Wentworth Hoodhouse)
Ornamental temple. c1745 by Henry Flitcroft (engraving) for Thomas
Watson Wentworth. Sandstone ashlar. Open-sided octagon with vaulted
dome, Doric. Each side has 3 nosed steps set between square stylobates
of attached columns which have 4 bands of stalactite rustication. Round-
arched opening to each side with moulded plinth, impost and archivolt
with console-shaped keystone. Cornice breaks forward over columns to
support ball finials each with band of stalactite rustication (two missing).
Ashlar dome with stepped lower courses.
Interior: radial paving with octagonal central stone. Impost and archivolt
to inside of arches. Cornice beneath vault. A well-preserved and important
landscape feature of the park.
Engraving in Bodleian Library, Gough Maps 35, folio 48B.
Related bills in Wentworth Woodhouse Muniments, drawer C, bundle 35,
Sheffield City Library.
Listing NGR: SK3993097174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings