History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blackheath, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4628 / 51°27'46"N

Longitude: 0.0009 / 0°0'3"E

OS Eastings: 539092

OS Northings: 175658

OS Grid: TQ390756

Mapcode National: GBR L2.JXG

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.YHTG

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 30 August 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203329

Location: Lewisham, London, SE13

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Lee St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Catford

Listing Text

In the entry for:

LEE TERRACE SE3
1.
4424 (South side)
Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54

B

the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II*(star).

------------------------------------

LEE TERRACE SE3
1.
4424 (South Side)
Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54.

B
2.
1839-41 by John Brown of Norwich, replacing a Church on the site by
Joseph Gwilt, 1813-14, which collapsed. Only the bottom of the tower
of the older structure remains. Church restored and enlarged by James
Brooks 1876, who added chancel and aisles, porches, and new roof.
Nave, aisles, West tower, North and South porches, chancel and aisles.
C13 style. Paired lancet windows with nook shafts and hoodmoulds.
Corbelled cornice and parapet with tall octagonal pinnacles. Square tower
has tall lower stage, clock faces under gables above, octagonal bell drum
with cusped lancets under crocketed hoods; and plain spire above. Roman
cement with freestone dressings and spire.
Inside 5-bay nave and aisles of almost equal width, tall arcades, wood rib
vaults. Wrought iron screens to chancel and chancel aisles. Marble lined
sanctuary and Lady Chapel. 2 small Cl6 brasses with female figures.

Listing NGR: TQ3909275658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.