This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0076 / 52°0'27"N
Longitude: 0.9708 / 0°58'14"E
OS Eastings: 603994
OS Northings: 238514
OS Grid: TM039385
Mapcode National: GBR SLX.09B
Mapcode Global: VHKFF.SS3W
Entry Name: Spider Hall
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277266
Location: Raydon, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7
Civil Parish: Raydon
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Raydon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
RAYDON LOWER RAYDON
TM 03 NW
3/21 Spider Hall
House. Late C16-C17 with probable earlier origins, C19-C20 alterations and
additions. Timber-framed, rendered, part cased and extended in painted brick.
Tile roof. Red brick stacks. L-plan of several builds. Hall range of 2 storeys,
3-cell plan with 2-storey cross wing to left forming an addition. Cross range
further extended by single-storey and attic range with later low attached service
building in brick and rear gabled cross wing containing stair. Probable former
lobby-entry plan. Entrance now to cross wing in angle with main range, 6-panel
door in pilastered doorcase. 16-pane sash to left under brick segmental arch and
further 16-pane sash to single-storey range. C20 3-light casements to 1st floor
and main range. C20 French window to gable end main range. Pair of roof lights to
single-storey range. Stack between 2 builds cross wing and off-centre ridge main
range. Interior: red brick inglenook to cross wing under timber bressumer with
curved and V-chamfer stop. Chamfered beam and exposed joists to single-storey
range. Very worn brick floors. Main range chamfered arched fireplaces to stack,
probably somewhat remodelled. Room to right of stack has C17 wall painting to
front wall representing panelling in black on white background with floral scroll
borders in red and purple (colours retouched C20). Framing visible in part at 1st
floor level; wall plate with edge-halved scarf, cambered chamfered tie beams with
replaced arch braces. Wide pegged floorboards. Room to left of stack, C17
cupboard door and shutter groove of window blocked by cross wing. Clasped purlin
roof to main range with painted/chalked date 1830.
Pevsner, N, Suffolk. Revised ed 1974, p.398.
Listing NGR: TM0399438514
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings