This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9507 / 51°57'2"N
Longitude: -1.1771 / 1°10'37"W
OS Eastings: 456652
OS Northings: 228337
OS Grid: SP566283
Mapcode National: GBR 8WQ.P71
Mapcode Global: VHCWX.K72G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243702
Location: Stoke Lyne, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Stoke Lyne
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Lyne
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STOKE LYNE CHURCH LANE
SP5628 (West side)
19/109 Church of St. Peter
Church. C12 chancel and nave. North aisle early C13. South tower early C14.
Major restoration by H. Woodyer in 1868. Squared coursed limestone and coursed
limestone rubble. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses
and stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, south tower, south porch, north aisle,
north vestry. 5-window range. Chancel has a restored triplet of C12 windows and
a Geometrical window above. On south side of chancel a C12 priest's doorway
flanked by lancets and a C12 window. Nave has two C12 windows on north and a
blocked C12 doorway. West end has a 4-light restored window with plate tracery
and a C12 window. Lancet window to left of porch on south. Tower of 2 stages has
a 3-light reticulated window on south and louvred round-arched windows to
bell-turret. Diagonal buttresses, string courses and crenellated parapet.
Pyramidal roof with lightning conductor. C19 south porch. C12 south doorway has
a roll hoodmould with animal headstops and an arch decorated with zig-zag. Above
a niche with round arched head and small C12 figure probably of St. Peter.
Chancel has a C19 stone corbel table. Interior. C19 roofs. Late C12 chancel arch
with hood mould with nailhead chamfer and 2 moulded orders carried on responds
with scalloped capitals. Chancel rebuilt in 1868 re-using the original window
openings, except for the rose window which is new and the 3 east lancets, copies
of the originals. West window of 1868. Brass to Edward Love, d.1557 and wife
Alice, d.1535. Chest tomb to William Holt, d.1582 and wife Katherine. Brasses
over it. Wall monument to Susannah Holt, d.1704. Stained glass given by Lady
Peyton in 1873. Medieval font. C19 pews.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p789; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
Listing NGR: SP5665228337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings