History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eagle House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Village, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.426 / 51°25'33"N

Longitude: -0.2196 / 0°13'10"W

OS Eastings: 523879

OS Northings: 171169

OS Grid: TQ238711

Mapcode National: GBR BL.WWV

Mapcode Global: VHGRB.4FS5

Entry Name: Eagle House

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193286

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205073

Location: Merton, London, SW19

County: London

District: Merton

Electoral Ward/Division: Village

Built-Up Area: Merton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Wimbledon

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wimbledon

Listing Text

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON HIGH ST, Wimbledon, SW19
TQ 2371
(north side)
5/62 Eagle House
1.6.49
GV II*

Substantial house. 1613, built for Robert Bell. Restored in 1887 by T G Jackson.
Brick, now mostly stuccoed. Tiled pitched roof to parapet. 3 storeys plus basement.
3 bays. Central entrance with depressed arch. Stone mullioned windows to basement.
Canted bays to either side to basement, ground and first floors with exposed C17
brick between storeys, timber mullions and transoms, leaded lights. Corbelled
canted oriel above central entrance, wider, having 4 rather than 3-lights to front.
Moulded stucco bands between storeys. Square headed 3-light timber mullioned and
transomed windows to second floor. Each bay with shaped gable. Rows of tall
moulded polygonal chimneys between bays. Rear and return elevations similar. C18
extensions to left. Interior has ground floor hall running from front to rear in
centre of house. 3 original plaster ceilings on first floor. Panelling to former
dining room 1730; hall overmantle; other C18 features. Owned and restored by the
architect Sir T G Jackson.


Listing NGR: TQ2387971169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.