This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9595 / 51°57'34"N
Longitude: -1.4243 / 1°25'27"W
OS Eastings: 439652
OS Northings: 229159
OS Grid: SP396291
Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.0QK
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.80CN
Entry Name: 8-11, Old Road
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251872
Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT TEN OLD ROAD
SP3929 (East side)
10/61 Nos.8 to 11 (consecutive)
27/08/56 (Formerly listed as Cottages
Nos.8, 9, 10 and 11)
Row of 4 small houses and cottages, now partly ruinous. Partly C17, altered and
extended early C18, and probably partly re-modelled early C19. Coursed squared
marlstone with some ashlar dressings; thatched roofs with limestone-ashlar
stacks. One- and 2-unit plans. 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attic. No.11 to
left, the tallest, has a 2-window front with 3-light C17 stone-mullioned window
with labels at ground floor, and tall wooden cross windows above in early C18
walling. All have leaded glazing. Small attic window in left gable. Roof has C19
flanking stacks and an inset dormer to rear. Rear wing has casements. Main
entrance is within the structure of No.10, to right, and adjacent to No.10's
doorway; both have chamfered segmental arches below possibly-inserted labels.
Remains of ground-floor windows survive in the ruins of Nos.10 and 9, and there
is a pair of similar windows in the front of No.8, all with 3-light leaded
casements in chamfered stone surrounds below labels, and probably early Cl9. At
first floor only one window, a 2-light leaded casement, survives above the
entrance to No.10. Gable walls stand to full height and retain C19 stacks, all
with plinths and moulded caps. No.10 still retains some roof timbers and part of
its first floor. Interiors not inspected.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.628; C. Hussey, "Great Tew, Oxfordshire
II", Country Life, July 29, 1949).
Listing NGR: SP3966029151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings